Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchored Table Width in Printed Documentation

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working in RoboHelp 8 HTML and am dealing with a new pain point. Recently I created a step by step how to guide on a page within a table. Instructions are in one column and images in an adjacent column. I discovered however that the table widths weren't anchored in printed documentation. I read online that that this was a known bug so I installed the necessary patch (8_0_1.exe). Now, even after the install, I'm still seeing the problem. The generated webhelp looks fine but when I print the page the margins no longer align. Any insight into the issue would be most appreciated.

- Meredith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before tackling your question, I strongly recommend you apply patch 802. See Opening Projects on my site.

I once investigated a problem where some cells were going off page and others were fine, is that what you are seeing? The answer is in in Print Issues on my site.

When RoboHelp generates  printed output, it sends tables to Word as the defined width unless that width is greater than the width between  the margins. Then it does the following:

If  there are no merged cells, the table is scaled to fit the  width between the margins.

If there are merged cells, the table does not get scaled and overruns the margins.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Peter. I have now applied the 802 patch and am still seeing the same problem with the printed documentation. In the hopes of aligning texts and pictures on page I have a series of tables Each is one row with two columns. The table width is set to 100% with each left column at 42.857% and each right column at 57.143%. I have the text left aligned in the first column and a picture placed in the second column indented 20 pixels left (or not at all ... this doesn't seem to solve for or create the problem). On screen everything lines up great. When printed the margins shift so that the text and images no longer line up. I'm still unsure what is causing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 802 patch was nothing to do with this problem, it was about avoiding more catastrophic problems.

Create this problem in a single topic project using all the same settings, CSS and Word template as your problem project. Zip that up and send as instructed on the Contact page on my site. Please include a link to this thread.

I will look as soon as I am able.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believed the problem was fixed by the successful install of patch 801. 801 was the patch that addressed the bug I was experiencing. I had thought that it had been installed but learned through the course of trying to install 802 that it had not.

Anyway, things now seem to be behaving. Thank you so much for your assistance.

- Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp