1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 192 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 10:48 AM by Paul_Ferguson Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
        _durin_ Adobe Employee

Hi Steve C2,

1. Yes, 64-bit plug-ins are not compatible with 32-bit applications (and vice versa.)

2. A significant portion of Audition's userbase is in the radio industry, and those folks will be the first to agree that hardware upgrades are about the last thing considered in any budget discussions.  In order to ensure continued support for these folks, Audition needed to continue to support Windows XP 32-bit, and work well on older, single-core hardware with limited RAM.  In any case, I wouldn't expect any customer to update their hardware in order to use Audition, rather I would hope they might consider it to make the experience better.

3. With CS 5.5, there is no plug-in compatibility between Audition and Premiere Pro.  When sending a Premiere Pro sequence to Audition, you have the opportunity to render effects prior to sending them or to ignore them completely.  When Audition moves to support 64-bit platforms, I'd expect to see a much tighter integration between Audition and Premiere and the ability to easily share effects.

4. The only problems you should run into when using Audition 3 and CS 5.5 simultaneously would be if both apps were attempting to access the same ASIO device.  Audition 3 allows you to run multiple instances of the application, but CS 5.5 does not.  You can, however, open multiple sessions at once so this should be less of a concern.

• 41. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
          Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Durin,

Many thanks!

Steve

• 42. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
            SteveG(AudioMasters) Adobe Community Professional

_durin_ wrote:

4. The only problems you should run into when using Audition 3 and CS 5.5 simultaneously would be if both apps were attempting to access the same ASIO device.  Audition 3 allows you to run multiple instances of the application, but CS 5.5 does not.  You can, however, open multiple sessions at once so this should be less of a concern.

I should point out that I haven't tried this directly with the rest of the CS, but the usual situation with ASIO and more than one app running is that it is only a problem if the apps are trying to access the same ASIO streams on a device - having two apps addressing the same card generally works fine, as long as the sample rate is the same. The no-no is trying to address two sound devices with ASIO - that it can't manage at all. So for instance with my E-Mu 1820m, it's only the ASIO streams that are actually allocated and in use that you can't use with another app.

• 43. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
              Steve C2 Level 2

Hi SteveG,

Thanks.  Also, one thing that I don't think I made clear in my questions - perhaps either you or Durin or anyone else who knows can answer.

When I was talking about workflow between AA 3 and 5.5, what I had in mind was that one probably would close one of the AA's before doing some work (one example is the AA 3 Scientific Filter).  Since the Effects Rack has been replaced, I thought that maybe VST-based effects, depending on when and where they are executed, might have unintended side-effects if one goes back and forth between versions.  Of course, I don't know the answer.  But, I thought it would be a good idea to the answer in advance.

Steve

• 44. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition

They shouldn't be any interaction at all between two versions of Audition running at the same time - and if I get a chance later on I'll check that this is indeed the case. As long as the two different versions of AA don't try to access the same ASIO streams, they should both run fine simultaneously, assuming your audio device can cope with that. Dunno what that would do to your processor load though - and there would be no guarantee of any sort of a decent performance!

• 45. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                  zenpicker Level 1

Sigh.

As a developer myself, I understand that seemingly simple features can be very complex under the hood - especially if we've done our job as UX designers - but there was such a clamor for clip grouping here that it's hard to understand why it didn't make the cut.  That and the lack of control surface support scotches my upgrade plans. 

Durin, the gist of a lot of your posts on this thread is that we should regard this release as a preview or a taste of things to come.  Without asking you to commit, can you give us some idea of when an interim *feature* (vs bug fix) release might be expected?  A year or so from now?  Just wondering how long I have to keep my struggling PC running...can't run AA3 under VMWare on the Mac because unfortunately I have a Firewire audio interface.

Anyway, I appreciate all the thought and creativity that went into this first Mac release and hope there will be a future release that works for my sort of workflow.

• 46. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                    _durin_ Adobe Employee

I haven't meant to give the impression that CS 5.5 is a preview release.  If we felt there was not a significant group that would be able to accomplish their audio tasks with this release, we would have waited for CS 6.  For those Audition 3 users who cannot live without pitch correction or clip grouping or control surface support and will only consider an Audition with those features, then the wait for that release will be the same as it would be had we not released CS 5.5.  I hope we've been honest and straightforward about this.  If not, let me emphasize that Audition CS 5.5 will not have every feature available in Audition 3, and if you find that it does not suit your particular needs, please let us know exactly what is missing that prevents you from upgrading and using it so that we can do our best to make certain these areas are addressed and improved for CS 6.

(And I'm not making a judgement on that perspective!  Believe me when I say that there was much agony and passionate arguments made for every feature that did not make the cut for this release.  There was NO ONE on the team who dismissed any of these tools as unimportant.  When it came down to the wire and we needed to decide whether to spend developer time on, say, Clip Grouping vs. CD Extraction, we had to look at everything from development and testing time, ranking in feature surveys and forum/pre-release requests, and whether an alternative, if less elegant, solution existed.)

We want to make the best audio editing tool on the market.  We want to offer a value for our users that they don't get with other applications, or complement the tools they already use to increase their productivity.  Adobe has committed to releases on an 18/12 month cycle, meaning 18 months following an n.0 release, expect an n.5 release, with the next n.0 release 12 months later.  CS 5.5 ships mid-May, which puts CS 6 on a tentative release for May 2012.

Thanks for the feedback and the encouragement moving forward.  I hope you'll still take a look at the trial version and see where it might help improve your productivity or what areas we could focus upon that would make CS 6 a killer release for you.

Durin

• 47. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                      zenpicker Level 1

Thanks, Durin.  Guess I already made my votes clear on features for release 6.

And now the wait begins.

• 48. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                        Alex Radzishevsky Level 1

Dear Durin,

though you didn't comment on this my reply, I still keep hoping that it will be taken into account. I think the number of Audition users that I'm talking about in my message cannot be ignored by Adobe.

Thank you,

Alex.

• 49. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition

Alex Radzishevsky wrote:

I think the number of Audition users that I'm talking about in my message cannot be ignored by Adobe.

How many is that?

• 50. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                            _durin_ Adobe Employee

Hi Alex,

We're already working on some of the effects you mentioned.  I did copy your message into one of the items in the feature database to bolster support for the other tools, but it's still very early in the CS 6 development cycle, so I don't have much to report yet. 

• 51. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                              Alex Radzishevsky Level 1

I didn't count everyone of them personally yet, but according to my experience (working as audio engineer and developer in voice communication industry) - they are thousands. You can visit any company that deal with voice communication, audio sw/hw validation, etc. and you can see most of the engineers using Audition or its predecessors.

• 52. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                _durin_ Adobe Employee

This suggestion of a "silent army" of Audition users, as well as some missteps in the past where features were removed (on purpose or accident) to the outcry of a small number of users, leads me to start recommending enabling the anonymous usage reporting tools in Adobe applications.  While Audition isn't doing much with this feature yet (The Adobe Product Improvement Program link found under the Help menu), I think we'll enable it for more tasks and actions with CS 6.  It's a completely opt-in, anonymous means of collecting how much time is spent in certain views, what effects and features are used most often, and where trouble spots might exist.  For users who may otherwise never visit forums or send us an e-mail, it should off