8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 10:48 AM by Marian Driscoll

Save For Web file size issues!

benl1884 Level 1

Hi there,

I am having an issue with the file sizes when saving out files to certain specs.

I use the 'Save for Web' tool to identify the image weight by altering the amount of colours used.

In the tool the weight appears to be within the specifications, but when I check in the Finder (Get Info) it tells me it is over the required specifications.

Example - In the Save for Web tool it says the weight is 6.967kb for a 300x50px .gif using 100 colours.

But in the finder it says it is 8,254 bytes!

Why is this happening?

How can we solve this?

• 1. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
          Level 5

This is what makes Mac the greatest design platform. 

OS X's Finder is adding image preview data.

You've got to find a way to prevent OS X from generating the preview.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
            benl1884 Level 1

But why was this not an issue in CS4?

Can you recommend how to do this?

Cheers

Ben

• 3. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
              Scott Falkner Level 5

The OS does not automatically add preview data. My guess is Photoshop is adding metadata when saving.

Some tips:

• Try using PNG instead of GIF. The file size is almost always smaller. You may have heard that PNG does not work with MSIE. THis was true for versions before MSIE 7, which currently have about a 2% share of the browser market. The problem only affects 8-bit transparency, so 8-bit PNGs with 1-bit transparency work fine.
              • Download PING from MacUpdate. This is a free PNG optimizer. Drag PNG files onto the application icon to optimize. Savings can be dramatic.
              • If you insist on using GIF search for GIF optimizers, also on MacUpdate.

• 4. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
                benl1884 Level 1

I just found another forum with the same issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/786552?tstart=0

I normally use .png's but this ad server requires .gif / .jpg! Very frustrating!

Do you know how to remove the metadata within photoshop?

I wish this was a minor issue and use a quick fix... but I have to save files like this on regular basis!

The 'Save for Web' tool needs to work correctly for me to do my job efficiently...

a little disappointing that this is a step back for CS5 for this tool!

Your advice is helpful though and appreciated!

Cheers

Ben

• 5. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
                  Level 5

Are you certain that you are excluding all metadata when you use the Save for Web function in CS5?

• 6. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
                    benl1884 Level 1

I am about to cry... I have just seen it on the drop down menu in the middle of the 'SFW' window that says Metadata>select none from drop down!!

A whole bloody day... not even adobe customer services saw this when I showed them my screen!

Anyway... Thanks guys for your help and sorry if i wasted your time!

Have a good day

• 7. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
                      Scott Falkner Level 5

I can count on my vaginas the number of times I have heard praise for Adobe’s technical support.

• 8. Re: Save For Web file size issues!
                        Level 5

Scott Falkner wrote:

The OS does not automatically add preview data...

While it turned out to be Photoshop's fault, here's a follow up to Finder's weirdness suggested earlier.

Most of the time Finder behaves. But as shown here, Finder can be a bit dishonest.

finder_error.jpg

"image1.jpg" was copied as "image2.jpg" on a particularly configured system that adds preview data. "image2.jpg" increased in size by over 100kb according to Finder's 'Get Info'.  But when the same files are viewed in another file manager (Filezilla), we see that they are still identical.

This is why Finder is not always to be trusted.

1 person found this helpful