Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making Mono into Stereo

Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a video, my recording equipment records in mono.  When I bring the video and audio into Premier Pro CS5, I want to duplicate the sound on the other channel thereby having a form of stereo.  In this way, the viewer, particularly if s/he views the video with headsets, will hear sound out of both ear pieces.  How can I copy a track that was recorded on, say, the left channel to also play out of the right channel?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to do anything special. If you use a sequence that contains at least one mono source audio track (that will contain the audio from your footage) and a stereo master track (this is the default), your mono clip will play through both channels of the stereo sequence.

This is what it will look like (notice the small speaker icons in the track headers):

mono-stereo.png

You can either set up a sequence manually by going to File > New > Sequence and specifying the number and type of tracks you want, or just drag one of your clips to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel (looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper). This will set up a sequence that matches your footage--including audio track types--and create a stereo Master track. When you play the sequence back, you'll notice that both the left and right channels contain the mono audio of your source clip. You can use the Audio Mixer to pan back and forth, if you like, but there is nothing special you need to do to create pseudo-stereo from your mono clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with the suggestions that you have gotten, you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE for some background on Audio Tracks and channel-count.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my recording equipment records in mono.

Does it record actual mono, or just to one channel of a stereo track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines