• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ebooks on iphone?; Digital Editions on iPhone?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2007 Jul 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance that Digital Editions could work on an iPhone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2007 Jul 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with the current rev of the iPhone. While there is a multitude of issues with Apple not opening the iPhone for 3rd party development (file system access comes to mind), the real show stopper with the current iPhone is that there is no Flash support.

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Lester,
Yes it is me again, I was anxiously awaiting word from Sony about Adobe DE and epub support when out of the Blue Apple released an ereader app for the new Iphone, With third party support alive and well now at Apple will this now mean Adobe DE on Iphone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Third party support on the iPhone hasn't really changed really in the past 3 days other than the store opening. The SDK and Licensing terms remain the same. Besides the flash support (current ADE UI is all flash based), there are still technical and legal challenges for doing a good reader on the iPhone. For instance one of the bigger problems is how do you get content from your computer onto your iPhone and from your iPhone back onto your computer - currently the only synching onto the iPhone happens through iTunes and with their known supported types.

BTW Apple has not released a reader application for the iPhone. eReader for the iPhone is coming from a third party called Fictionwise, and being sold, like all iPhone applications, through the iTunes App Store. You can find out more about eReader here: http://www.ereader.com/iphone/
Competitor they may be, but when they do something good, i'd hate to see the credit given to someone else.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Lester,
Sorry I miss spoke earlier I have downloaded the ereader app and I am familiar with ereader and fictionwise. Thank you for your Prompt reply I will be watching for any updates in the future.

Sincerely,
Jerry Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2008 Jul 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to read ebooks on my iPhone would be my dream come true. As soon as Adobe releases flash for iPhone, I presume, that would happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 22, 2008 Jul 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I've learned from my 13+ years in this busines? Never assume (or presume...) because usually your assumption will be wrong.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to make sure Adobe knows how much we would like to see that app on the iPhone. I'm guessing that the more people who comment here, the closer we are to getting management on board.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know. 🙂 We'd love it too, but technically it's just not that simple. Digital Editions is a Flex app that runs on Flash Player, and Flash Player doesn't exist on the iPhone at this time. So there are technical hurdles. Still, we're definitely aware that people are asking (including myself, owner of two iphones...)

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being much of a techie person, I don't really understand why you can't read adobe ebooks on the iphone.
The iphone already has a pdf reader.
Some of the apps already available on the App Store can read pdfs.
Obviously digital editions is an all singing all dancing programme, but if all you want to do is read your ebooks on the train, all you really need is the ability to increase the font size to a comfortable size and somehow "bookmark" the page you get to.
Any chance of that in the near future?
Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anthony, you are right, PDF files can be read on the iPhone & iPad (and other smartphones) using apps from companies other than Adobe. This would be OK but there is a much bigger problem : ebooks in "PDF for Digital Editions" bought from, e.g., ebooks.com are NOT readable by PDF readers, not even the Acrobat Reader from Adobe. In other words, "PDF for DE" is not PDF.

I posted today a new thread to that effect in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2008 Sep 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am anxiously hoping for a digital editions for itouch. digital editions is my preferred ereader, especially for its compatibility with libraries. the itouch supports other ereader apps now. when is adobe going to get on board?

don't make me buy a kindle!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2008 Oct 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to a previous post, there is now a way to move files to the iPhone without syncing or going through iTunes. It's an app called Air Sharing and it works very nicely. Now all we need is Flash for iPhone. Or maybe we should just wait until Apple buys Adobe with their $25B cash stockpile....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2010 Nov 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally it is possible to read library books on your iOS device. This is one of the features I have been looking for for a long time. Please see the CNET link below.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20023016-233.html

I have tested it and it is actually easy to get library books onto the iphone. You can just email the .acsm file to your iphone and then say open in .. Bluefire Reader and it will download the file.

The formatting is not ideal on the iphone. It leaves too much space around the edges and I wish the page turn would be slow as a move so that I can finish the last words on a page while already seeing the next word on the upcoming page. But those are little issues that can be resolved in the future. It definitely makes the ipad and iphone the most versatile reader now.

Additionally together with txtr this is the second app that empowers international readers to purchase epub books and read them on their iOS device. txtr does not read library books though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ye, thanks man it works really great, the link was very helpful for me. really, the Bluefire Reader now supports not only ePub and PDF formats, but also the Adobe DRM used by most libraries. i think its like one of very best app built for reading ebooks on iPhones absolutely at no cost but i know one more website that i think, i must share with you which help me a lot to download ebooks for iphone and that is http://www.downloadebooksforiphone.com. thanks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update - in case someone is still looking for this answer.  This works for library books in the Adobe format. Get the iFlow Reader app.  Also get www.iflowreader.com. Download a book to your computer.  Open iflowreader.com. Import book - browse for the book you've downloaded to a file on your computer.  Mine go into "ebooks". If you've set up both accounts (use the same user name/password for all your Adobe accounts), your book will be  on the iPhone.  You'll hae to click "download", it will open, and you can read!

Also, for PDF files, get the Good Reader app.  It translates the files into a perfect format for reading on iPhone/iPod Touch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines