Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images for Single Source to PDF

Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested in using Robohelp 9 as my single source to make both HTML help (.chm) and print documentation (PDF). I had hoped to use .tif files as my source images for the single source so that i can have the best print quality images when rolling out the PDF format. However, the Robohelp 9 user guide indicates that you can only add an image to a robohelp topic in the following formats:

Add an image to a topic

You can insert files with the following filename extensions: .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, or .bmp.
here is the link to the above info:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS9B67D0AF-955F-416e-9556-A2A062BB2037.html

gif and jpeg is obviously not a good option for print projects and It seems to me that only allowing .bmp format for single source project to pdf is not such a good option either.

Please advise about whether i am correct that i cannot use .tif and also advise about what the consequences are of using BMP instead for PDF.

Any guidance about images in regards to Robohelp 9 single source to PDF would be appreciated. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite simply RoboHelp does not support TIFF. I guess the reason is you would not use that format in online help because of the file size. BMP's are supported but are not generally used in online help, again because of file size.

I cannot comment on BMPs going to PDF as I don't use them, reason above.

Like most RoboHelp users I work with JPG and GIF images and get satisfactory results both online and in print. PNG images are also an option.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My concern is not about using .tif or .bmp for HTML help (gif and jpeg are for html). My concern is about using robohelp for single source project where I will be publishing to print documentation where i will need higher quality resolution for the images.

Hopefully someone with knowledge about print quality images and single sourcing experience can give me some advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp does not support TIFF images regardless of output, online or print. That was one of your questions and I have answered that.

Have you tried the supported options to see how well RoboHelp deals with them?

I have a feeling that with some online outputs BMPs get converted to another format, you can check that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate some help from someone familiar with using the same source images when generating both html and printed documents from robohelp (single source to print pdf).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

I surrender. I said in my first post "Like most RoboHelp users I work with JPG and GIF images and get satisfactory results both online and in print. PNG images are also an option."

You have said "gif and jpeg is obviously not a good option for print projects". Why is it obvious? Unless you are talking about the very highest quality documents produced by a professional printing company, then RoboHelp generally gives good results in documents sent to Word.

I'll leave this to someone else but perhaps if you describe the problem you are having with jpg and gif images, it will help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I am also in the process of single-sourcing my content for both PDF and online help (Webhelp in my case).

I have found that I have acheived the most satisfactory results with gif files. Most of my images are screen captures. I save as gif when I capture the images, and they seem to print quite nicely, and look good online, too.

I recently posted my results in the "FrameMaker integration" area of the Robohelp forum.

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp