Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default timing on highlight box not 'sticking' for recorded demos

Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm building a CP template for recording demos and sims in Captivate 5 and I've set the basic element defaults to what I need them to be.  The colors and styles are all working perfectly, but the timing is not.  For example, I have Highlight boxes set to display "for rest of slide" rather than the specifies 3 seconds, but when I record the demo, the highlight boxes all display for 3 seconds.  What am I missing here?  I swear the settings have been properly set in the defaults.  I have to assume that there is another place to set the timing that takes precedence over the global default, but I can't find it.  Any help would be greatly appreciayed.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think what you are seeing is a discrepancy between insertion defaults and recording defaults. I may be mistaken about the way this works, but it's my understanding that what you configure via Edit > Preferences > Global > Defaults is totally separate from what is configured via Edit > Preferences > Recording > Defaults.

I believe the former governs the default settings applied when you choose to manually insert objects while the latter governs the default settings applied when recording projects. And unfortunately, I don't believe an option exists to configure timing for recordings.

If you wish you are encouraged to submit a Wish Form to advise Adobe and ask for this to change in a future version of Captivate. (Link to the form is in my sig area)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick.  Thanks, as always, for the quick response.  This is my first project in 5, so I'm still finding where things have moved to - yes, you are correct that the recording defaults are separate from the object defaults.  When setting up recording, you point to the 'style' you establish under global defaults.  But here's the catch: all the style settings (font, color, etc) are defined in the 'style', but the timing is defined under object defaults - outside of the style definition.  I didn't notice that at first.  Hmmm.  This is annoying, because the current iteration of 'apply to all' doesn't let you apply modifications made to the timing of the object, and then apply it to objects that already have the same style ( ie, the current style isn't a choice on the dropdown under apply choices). 

I'll experiment and see if I can define a Style1 as a default to record, and then a Style2 that I can apply to all Style1 objects with the correct timing after the fact.  I'll let you know if that works.

Yes, this should be a feature.  Timing is definitely something that I regularly need to conform across entire projects, and I think it would make sense to link it with the style definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

This is just speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if the absence of timing information isn't intentional. I say this because it's likely that each project would be unique and as such, enforcing specific timing might be more frustrating than helpful.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I'm making it harder than it has to be.  All I had to do was select the first recorded instance of the object, change the timing, and then, on the timing property, use the 'apply to all of this style' option.  That applied the timing change to all of the Style1 highlight boxes.  I was focusing on the style info at the top of the property manager.  You're right.  You have more control by having the timing segregated.  I just didn't realize that each section of the property manager could be applied individually. It's much more granular.   This is a difference btw 4 and 5.  In 4, you made your edits to all the object elements in one dialog, so it was an all or nothing situation.  This is better.  Thanks for helping me think it through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources