Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Table Loses Formatting

Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 9.0.0.228/Server 9

WebHelp Pro

Single Project (upgraded from RH x5 to RH9)

I have created a custom table by using the "Create new style" feature.  I noticed that when the custom table style is renamed, tables already inserted in the topic lose their formatting (new tables inserted do have the custom formatting).   Is this a bug?

Eva

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eva

I'd say that it *MIGHT* be a bug. Normally when you change something like a name, RoboHelp amends all references to it to reflect the new name.

But what if you didn't really want that to happen?

I'd say you might report it as a bug and see what happens. (Link is in my sig area)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Rick will not mind me disagreeing as I did raise a very similar issue with Adobe. I changed the name of a CSS style and expected RoboHelp to do as Rick says, automatically change things for me. It was pointed out that in common with other HTML editors, that was not the way it worked.

As the tables are CSS based it doesn't surprise me that the same happens there.

What would be nice is a new feature where if you change the name, RoboHelp asks if you want to find all instances of that style and keep the assocation.

Meantime use a multi file find and replace tool to change the topics. For this purpose the one built into RoboHelp would probably work but make a backup first, unless you really want to break down in tears.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

Peter Grainge wrote:

I hope Rick will not mind me disagreeing as I did raise a very similar issue with Adobe. I changed the name of a CSS style and expected RoboHelp to do as Rick says, automatically change things for me. It was pointed out that in common with other HTML editors, that was not the way it worked.

I might agree with Adobe's view *IF* RoboHelp were being sold and marketed as a generic HTML editor. The problem is, it's not. It's a Help Authoring Tool. I expect a Help Authoring Tool to have my back.

I suppose if I were to draw a parallel, I'd be seriously asking Adobe if they are now suggesting that by virtue of changing an HTML file name in the application that the tool should ignore any references to the old file name and allow all manner of broken links to result? It's the same difference as I view it.

I agree with your view that *AT MINIMUM* RoboHelp should ask me if I want all former references converted. The best case scenario would be for us to have an option that allows configuring the behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is a mainstream HTML editor and that repairs links if you change a filename, well it asks if that is what you want it to. So to that extent DW and RH are working the same way. Yeah I know DW is also an Adobe product but it has done that since the days when it wasn't.

Nonetheless, I think it would be nice if RoboHelp did the same with style names.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add a little to this discussion, style are not very tightly coupled with the content in HTML/XML world, so you have the felxibilty that you just change the CSS file from the back end and the whole look and feel is updated according to styles defined in this new CSS and this is by design, so in that sense if we allow such HTML updates (updating the refered style name when style changes in CSS) then it will be a chaos if we change CSS itself.

I would suggest to change the refered names (the class) through either JavaScript (it can take care of what to replace and what not) or Find replace using any tools.

Hope this helps

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I would like to stretch this point: HTML and CSS are completely separate. If you assign an attribute such as a class or an id to an element in HTML, this has nothing to do with styling. It's just extra (meta) information about an element in your HTML document.

CSS uses selector rules to find elements in a HTML document. You can match elements by the tag name, class name, id, etc. The css provides markup commands for the browser to style the elements that match the selectors.

In JavaScript you can also use selectors to identify the piece of content you need. But all this is completely separate from the HTML document which contains your content.

Because of the tight integration between the three, it may look as though it's a complete package. And there certainly is something to say for learning a bit of CSS when you get started with HTML

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp