Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5: Not generating Text Entry Boxes in Training Mode

Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw some posts about this without resolution so I'm hoping that someone has figured this out:  while recording very basic software training simulations in 5,

Click Boxes are being created where Text Entry Boxes should be.  If I create TEBs manually, they work fine, but they are not created at all while recording.  Following the advice in the previous thread that mentioned this, I tried the captures in Assessment and in Custom modes as well, but I got the same behavior with each.

I'm running Cap5 v.5.0.1.624 on XP SP3.  Thanks.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Did you check Preferences, Recording, Modes. Normally you should have these settings as visible in the screenshot; in CP4 this was not always working, but in CP5 I never had your issue with these settings:

Lilybiri

RecPref.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the settings are all correct.  Funny, I never had this issue with 4, and this is my first project in 5, so I assumed it was a 5 'thing'.  This is something I need to get resolved right away (of course).  Should I try to actually contact Adobe?  I've never had much luck with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is a fresh install? And I see that you have installed the patch, so it is up to date. Could you try with a new project? Normally you will get a typing object in Demonstration mode if you are capturing typing, and a Text Entry Box in both Training and Assessment mode.

Some small things you could try: clear the cache and retry to capture some slides. Or else, close Captivate, delete the Preferences folder (in case it should be corrupted). This folder is located in your profile, labeled Captivate 5; it is a system folder, perhaps you'll have to make them visible in the Explorer tools. When you reopen CP a new folder will be created. If you did not tweak your preferences a lot, it is worth trying, solved already many weird issues. Here are the paths for this folder

- on Xp: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Captivate 5

- on Vista/Win7:C:\Users\<USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Captivate 5
- on MAC: /Users/<USER NAME>/Library/Preferences/
Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Lily.  The install is fresh (I think).  I just got the laptop from the client's IT department complete with software on Monday, so I can't be sure how it was installed.  When I got the machine, none of the Adobe software was up to date, so I applied all of those patches myself.  One thing I didn't think to mention - the projects are created based on a template I designed, essentially just to cature all the settings.  Maybe the template file is corrupt?  It's brand new and only has prefernces set, so it 'shouldn't' be corrupt.  I'll try it from a blank project, and if that doesn't work, I'll delete the preferences file and start again.  I'll let you know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lily, which folder is the preferences folder?

Captivate-folder-list.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can safely delete the folder Captivate 5 entirely, it has all the preferences.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thamks, again, Lily.  Deleting the Captivate 5 folder resolved the problem when I started from a blank project. So that's a huge step forward.  It didn't, however, fix the problem with files created from the template.  I have to assume that whatever got corrupted in the preferences translated into the template.  I'll start that from scratch and see how it goes.  Thanks, again.  I would not have figured out to delete that folder without your advice.  I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to have been of help. Enjoy Captivate, it is a powerful app.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Lily:

I figured out the actual answer to this problem today, and it's still a bit of a head-scratcher.  The answer could help someone else, so, in the spirit of camaraderie, here it is:  Under Project Info > Recording > Audio Options I had unchecked 'Keystrokes' and 'Hear Keyboard Tap Sound', thinking that they controled ONLY the audio capture.  Turns out, if you uncheck Keystrokes, none of your typing is captured, hence Text Entry Boxes are NOT generated.  So answer is:  Keystrokes > CHECK, Hear Tap > UNCHECK and everything works just fine.  Huh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting this, strange indeed. Will try to remember it for possible future quesitons of that kind.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources