• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BROWSER WON'T READ PDFs

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonder if someone can advise me as to why I am unable to view PDFs on-line.   As an example, I go to a web site to view and to download a PDF and the browser says, 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'.   My operating system is Windows 7, 64 bit.   Thanking you in anticipation.   Lance (Australia).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to post the same thing .

Hope there are some answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing also for me....the same system...

I hope for one answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  It's very frustrating..............except it just won't display anything

Windows 7, IE 8, Adobe reader X.  I have also done a repair of Reader and restarted my computer.

In IE 8, tools, programs, the add-in for Adobe reader does not show as being currently loaded, but it is enabled.

One other note, I can save the file on my computer, and then open it.  I don't always want to do this tho............

Does this help>

Another thought.  Every time reader gets updated with a newer version, something doesn't work the way it used to, or it doesn't work right.  It used to be a great PDF reader.  Is there something else that will do the same thing?

\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to be hard to answer anyone without knowing what browser, version of browser, exact version and latest update of Reader...etc.

The more info you can give, the better a chance of getting an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Vista 64 Bit.  Internet Explorer 8 (256 bit encryption).  Windows Firewall.  Adobe Reader X (10.0.1).  I also have the full version of Adobe 9 Pro (which I have unistalled to troubelshhot this problem since sites say I need Adobe Reader).

I didn't used to have this problem w/9 Pro, but now I have it regardless of whether I use Reader or Pro.  Worse yet, despite having dowloaded and installed Reader X, sites still say I need to install reader. It's as if the sites don't recognize Reader (or any other version of adobe installation(s)).  I don't have this problem on my XP laptop.  I'm able to view browser pdfs no problem.  Problem appears related to Windows64-bit OS.  Hope theres a solution soon.  ... Having to use my XP machine and then transfer to my [main] Vista machine is extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, update Reader. The current version is 10.0.3. There may be a fix there.

Also, be sure your browser is up to date as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but can't find Reader 10.0.3 ... Adobe web site only has 10.0.1 as a download. And no, I don't have Pro 9.0 and Reader X on same machine ... only Reader X while I troubleshoot this problem since web sites keep saying I need Reader to view PDFs. I know that shouldn't matter, the full version of Adobe should work as well, but now nothing works.

I'll be on the lookout for 10.0.3.

Thanks

OMM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I think 10.0.3 is just for the Mac at this point. You are correct. 10.0.1 is the latest for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Reader 9.4.4 and Firefox 3.6.13

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more potential problem. Do you have Reader and Acrobat Pro on the same machine? If so, you have to remove one of them (then reinstall the other). They share and fight over resources so it's not recommended nor supported to have both.

You CAN however have Reader X and Acrobat X on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same problem.  Windows 7 SP1  - 32bit, IE 9, Reader 10.0

Use to be able to open PDFs - don't know what happened.  Could be, I got auto update and it failed???  Not sure what it was for but, vaguely recall one running for a hour+.  Probably figured because it was hung, it failed, and, being that it was very late, x'ed out of it and shutdown.  On hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have done that.  But if I left it to do it's thing, it could still be churning several days later.

Is it possible to fallback to a previous Adobe reader version?    Adobe, HEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my preferences in Reader X for the internet.  I unchecked "Display PDF in Browser".  Now I can display pdf files from IE, but I believe that it creates a temporary file and then displays it in Adobe not the browser.  Hopefully this will be a temporary fix.

Lois

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2011 May 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar issue. I am able to view most PDFs, but the problem seems to happen more when the PDF are embedded into a page or when I try to download them. I read somewhere this was due to some issues with Adobe not getting the final codes for IE9?

I'm running Win7 64bit with IE9. No problems with PDFs using Firefox 4 though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to IE 9 and the problem went away.  Maybe Adobe is getting too far ahead of the game............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the particular problem you were experiencing went away but Reader 10.0.1 under Internet Explorer 9 definitely has its own issues.

The toolbar in Reader X isn't even functional on my Windows 7 (150% Display setting) PC - whatever you click on has no effect, hows that for a showstopper bug! It's been like that for months even though the problem has been reported. The suggestion was to open the pdf and read it directly within Reader X which is all well and good if the website lets you do that but many don't. I really can't believe its taking Adobe so long to fix this compatibility with IE9/Windows 7 issue - long after IE9 has been released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, your system will have both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Internet Explorer.  Adobe Reader is a 32-bit application and will only install 32-bit browser plugins.  So if you are using 64 bit IE, you will not be able to view PDFs embedded into web pages or within a browser window.  You may however still download and open them like any file.

For viewing within a brower window the Display PDF In Browser setting must be turning on in Reader's preferences.

For viewing embedded within a page the Adobe PDF Reader (AcroPDF.dll) Add-on must not be disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

twistedemotions wrote:

If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, your system will have both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Internet Explorer.  Adobe Reader is a 32-bit application and will only install 32-bit browser plugins.

Thanks for the reply and ideas. Indeed I am using the default 32 bit browser version of IE9 (the 64 bit version sits there on the start menu unused until more software producers make 64 bit plugins to go with it... are you listening Adobe

I've checked all the other things you've suggested and they're all default settings after a fresh OS install and exactly as you list so it looks like this is down to bugs within Reader X 10.0.1 afterall. There is no mention of Adobe Reader at all in the Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage Add-on section but I've not deleted anything there - perhaps this is associated with the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines