Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp search generated by RoboHelp 8 not working in Safari 5.0

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a  while, and have benefitted greatly  from answers found here.  Thanks!

I use RoboHelp 8 HTML - recently upgraded from X5  - to generate WebHelp for a  cross-browser compatible web app.   I generate using the DHTML > Pure HTML  option, and Safari is using the DHTML  version. I use 'traditional style (no skin),' 'Optimize speed for: Local PC or  Intranet'.

The Help seems to work fine in Safari for Windows, but now with the recent  update to Safari 5.0, the Search functionality is not working at all. The search  tab displays properly, but upon entering text and pressing Enter, nothing  happens.  It works in all other major browsers, except Opera which gets the Pure HTML version, and there I hid the search tab all together because it's unacceptable in that state.

The only customization I've done is swap out the  tab images, and insert a little css to  hide (display:none;) the "limit search results to __" option as it was getting  cut off in every browser, and I couldn't figure out why, or how to fix  it.

Any ideas?  Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks for your anticipated help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us some more details about the specific version of RH8 - there were some fixes I think for Safari browsers already done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Jeff said, it's worth noting that you state things were fine until Safari had a recent update.

So even if RoboHelp is patched to the latest version, it could be that you are simply the first to report the issue. It certainly sounds to me as if Safari broke something for WebHelp.

I would encourage you to report this to Adobe as a Bug. (link is in my sig line) This is an important thing to do so that Adobe will have at least one report of it in the database. Also, perhaps they will come back to you with a suggested tweak to make things work again.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 8.0.2.208 which I think is the most recent version. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Using the "Traditional (no skin)" option, the search form doesn't have a submit button. (Go)  This is the intended look, albeit a bit odd.  When I publish using the "Default" skin, (note the distinction between Traditional and Default) the search still won't submit when pressing Enter, but there is a Go button present, and it does work.  I have a feeling the problem may be in the JavaScript the WebHelp uses to watch for the Enter key, but I'm not that well versed in JavaScript.  Also, one of our developers suggested that browsers may be removing this functionality as a security feature -- preventing the use of a hidden submit button as part of an exploit.

I may use the Default skin, but that would mean re-applying some customization to that skin, and still want to change the label on the Search field from "Type in the words to search for:" to "Enter keywords and press Go:"

I still think this deserves attention, and would like to hear what others think.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Your mention of:

I still think this deserves attention, and would like to hear what others think.

Seems to imply you feel I was attempting to make you shrug it off. I wasn't. I was attempting to coax you (and anyone else) to submit the Bug Report. You have no idea how critical this aspect is. I see you made no mention of doing that so I'm assuming you ignored the suggestion.

Many folks have the grossly mistaken belief that the Bug Report/Wish Form just sends information to a circular file where it is never acted upon or seen again and as a result, you have had your say and it makes you feel better for getting it off your chest. But these things are actually reviewed by the development team. Each and every one of them. You may not get a personal response for each one you submit, but sometimes you do!

As for changing the verbiage, click File > Project Settings > General and look at the LNG File tab of the ensuing dialog. You are able to influence all manner of verbiage in that little gem.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know how you can change that wording right? It's in the Project Settings > General tab > Advanced button > LNG tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense taken Rick.  I actually am curious about whether this can be reproduced in other's projects.  Thanks for the tip regarding the LNG settings.  That is helpful.

I think I will submit a bug report about the loss of search form submit functionality in Safari 5.0, and use a customized instance of the Default skin with the "Go" button instead of the Traditional (no skin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned recently to my surprise that whilst Safari is a supported browser, it is only Safari on a MAC that is supported, not Safari on Windows.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dan,

Not sure if you saw this thread, but it provides the solution to the problem of the search panel being cut off on most or all Mac browswers.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2630901#2630901

Mike Stover

Rovi Corp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp