Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF 9 Installation question

Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

When installing ColdFusion it asks you to select various subcomponents to install:

ColdFusion 9 ODBC Services

ColdFusion 9 Search Services

ColdFusion 9 Solr Services

.Net Integration Services

ColdFusion 9 Documentation

So: If my installation is running on IIS 7.5 AND

I'm only running MySQL (no old ODBC databases) AND

My search functionality is limited to straight SQL lookups (not using the built in CF search functionality) AND

I already have the CF 9 documenation elsewhere

Than I should be able to do my install without selecting any of these things to be installed by ColdFusion? I'm pretty sure about everything except the .Net Integration Services, since I'm running my CF install on IIS will CF need any of these .Net services?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rich, I just did the same thing and had the same questions.   Since I use SQL Server, I know it requires .NET.  I think it's always a good idea to install .NET, if it's not already there, since IIS 7.5 uses it.   Docs is up to you, if it's just a development PC.  You want ODBC.

The 2 I had questions about were Solr and Search.  I installed them anyway, just to be sure.  Found out afterward that Solr installs in Windows 7 SERVICES, and is set to start "automatically" with Windows.  So it will use some amount of resources.  As far as I know, I don't use Solr, and not sure if/when I would ever use the Search.

One thing I discovered, I had to install all the IIS 6 components first, before installing CF9.  Otherwise, you get a bad install (at least I did on a domain-based computer running Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit.  Otherwise, CF Admin wouldn't start (got message "page not found.").  After installing the IIS 6 components and re-booting, the CF9 install went fine, Admin opened up.  Then I installed the 9.0.1 update right afterward, with no problem.  I never use the IIS 6 interface. Everything is configured in IIS 7.5.  But for some reason, I couldn't get a good install of CF9 Developer until I put IIS 6 on the box.

Good luck,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

So I got CF9 installed on the IIS 7.5 configuration, all seems well (and very robust).

I have to admit I'm a little fearful about applying the CF9.01 patch - the docs online are not very clear and since I had to enable the IIS 6 metabase and Isapi filter/extensions there definitely seems to be confusion about if you actually need to remove those IIS settings or keep them there.

Has anyone come across any exact instructions on how to apply the CF 9.01 patch within this configuration? (IIS 7.5 (metabase, Isapi, etc.), CF 9.01, 64 bit Windows 2008) What if any problems did you come across, and how did you address them?

Thanks again,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are instructions on how to install the patch on Adobe's site. I downloaded the PDF and just followed the instructions.  It supposedly makes CF9 compatible witih IIS 7.5.  The 9.0.1 install went without a hitch (for a change, not referring to Adobe but upgrading anything).  I haven't needed to use the IIS 6 interface at all.  So I just left it in there (Win 7 Pro, 64-bit).  I'm hesitant to remove it, because everything is working so smoothly.  I learned my lesson long ago, especially with Windows 7, that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Am just happy to have everything working.

I've added about 6 data sources, mostly Oracle servers, with no connection problems at all.  Would like it to stay that way.  Hope you find what you're looking for, regarding your specific situation.  Just passing on my experience with the upgrade, FWIW.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly this process on six servers a couple of weeks ago, there is no need to uninstall any IIS components and I had no issues, as long as you do everything in the right order. These are my notes, which cut out all the Adobe faff:

Make sure 9.0.0 is working properly.

Install the 9.0.1 .exe, installs itself.

Make sure 9.0.1 is working properly.

Put chf9010001.jar somewhere CF has read permissions over.

In CF9.0.1 Admin, go to the System Admin page and apply chf9010001.jar.

Update level should now be E:/CFusion/lib/updates/chf9010001.jar

Copy the new dump.cfm to E:\CFusion\wwwroot\WEB-INF\cftags

Copy scheduletasks.cfm to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\scheduler
Copy cfwindow.js to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\CFIDE\scripts\ajax\package
Copy l10n.cfm and l10n_testing.cfm to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\cftags

Restart CF

You should then be up-to-date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am curious.  After 9.0.1 install, and if everything is working correctly, may I ask what is the purpose of going through the additional steps you indicate?  In particular with chf9010001.jar ? 

I didn't do those steps, just the 9.0.1 install, and everything seems to be working fine (except a problem with 64-bit ODBC IBM DB2-Connect drivers, which I think is an entirely different issue...have another post on that issue).

Just want to make sure I don't run into any roadblocks down the line.  For example, I haven't yet installed any of my Scheduled Tasks in the CF Scheduler, they are still on my old Windows 2000/WinXP set up.

Thanks for clarifying reasons for taking the additional steps, and what could go wrong if not done.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The chf9010001.jar is a post-9.0.1 hotfix. Adobe periodically releases cumulative hotfixes that you may want to apply (depending on whether they're relevant to your environment).

Very often, deploying these hotfixes involves copying changed files to the /CFIDE folder, which is often deployed within your web server's root directory.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

http://www.figleaf.com/

http://training.figleaf.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure to disconnect CF 9 from IIS before running the patch, using the web server configuration tool. Run the patch, then reconnect CF 9.0.1 to IIS with the web server configuration tool. You don't need to uninstall the IIS 6 compatibility layer, but you can if you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to install the .NET integration services to use CF with SQL Server or IIS. You only need it if you want to invoke .NET assemblies from CF.

Both Solr and the ColdFusion Search Service are for full-text indexing and search. If you use the CFINDEX/CFSEARCH tags, you'll use one or the other. The ColdFusion Search Service is Verity. In future releases, Verity is likely to be phased out in favor of Solr.

Also, you don't need to install the IIS 6 compatibility layer first, if your goal is to ultimately run CF 9.0.1. When you install CF 9, you can choose not to connect it with IIS at that time. Then, you can install the 9.0.1 upgrade, and finally connect 9.0.1 to IIS 7 using the web server configuration tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation