Exit

Activex Error in RoboHelp 8 Windows 7

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting an error when I start RoboHelp8 HTML.  The error says:

One or more Activex controls could not be displayed because either:

1) You current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or

2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.

As a result. the page might not display correctly.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  My IT guys have enabled every ActiveX setting they can and I'm still getting this when I start RoboHelp.

Any ideas or help are appreciated.

Thanks.  Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob and welcome of the RH community.

Can you be a bit more specific by what you mean by "start RoboHelp". What version are you running? Is it the RoboHelp HTML or RoboHelp foe Word? Is it the application at all or the output generated from it? If so, what output?

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the welcome Colum!

I'm running RoboHelp 8 HTML, version 8.0.0.203.  When I start RoboHelp, before I even open a project I am getting the error.  And, when I open a project file, the expanding and drop-down text in the file do not work.

If you need more information, let me know and thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a fresh install of RoboHelp? If so, was it installed by an administrator logon or a user with local admin rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you can call it a fresh install, becasue our IT guy re-installed it.  User with administrator rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd first try running all the RH8 updates (one at a time - they're sequential, not cumulative) from the http://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html page and then se if it's still happening.

What O/S are you running and do you have enough rights to your own local machine? And, of course, you have RH8 installed on your C:\ drive & not some network location, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing RH8 fresh, I installed the updates.  I'm at 8.0.2.208.

I'm running on Windows 7.

And, yes, it's a local installation, not network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed the O/S in your question line. Are you running 32 or 64 bit? Have you tried any "Run as" settings when launching the shortcut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64-bit

I haven't tried starting using "run as"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I though that Windows 7 was only supported with RoboHelp on a 32 bit platform and even then only if you have all the updates installed. There maybe users who are successfully using RoboHelp on a 64 bit platform but are doing so at their own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, BobSrTW.  I had the same issue suddenly appear on my computer (Win 7 64-bit) just a couple of days ago.  I've read that Robohelp is hit and miss with 64-bit operating systems, but I've had no issues (until now) for two years with 64-bit Vista and Win 7.  I don't know if this will help, but I must've gotten some sort of virus that wasn't detected anywhere.  It added a "My Computer" Security Zone in the Windows Internet Options.  Once I removed this, my problem went away.  Robohelp now loads error free again!  Here's a link to the Microsoft forum where I found the answer.  Good luck.

"http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/unable-to-change-the-security-zone-settings-on/2a0b55bf-6807-4f72-b10c-53f958af9b42"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to this forum and this is (perhaps) a solution to this same error I am receiving after getting a virus.

Thing is, I can't figure out how to find these Registries of which it is talking to see if this can be a solution.  Would you mind walking through where to find these (though note that I'm on a Windows Vista machine)? 

I tried for a while to figure out what they were talking about.  I also didn't understand the special L bracket which is referred to.  Any clarifications?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my understanding that the warning is in fact triggered by the use of javascript. The first post in this thread states the warning was received on opening RoboHelp but I have only seen in when opening webhelp. I think you will only see it when using IE.

To get around it you can either set the Mark of the Web option or go to IE Advanced Options > Security and tick the Allow Active Content option. This occurs when you are viewing the help locally and will not occur when your users view the help from a server.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Tim.  In the Windows Start Menu, under the run command, type in "regedit".  When the registry editor opens, navigate through the tree to the key mentioned in the Microsoft forum (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\) and delete all of the entries in that folder.  Don't worry about what the post says about "the "L" bracket character".  I would first suggest the options put forth by Mr. Grainge and if that doesn't work, then try the registry fix.  Just be sure to back up your registry and be certain you know how to restore it before making any changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp