Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing a project's file path in RH8

New Here ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was just wondering if it is possible to change a project's file path after it's been created. I'm currently copying the RoboHelp 8 project file from my personal laptop to a web server, and some of the developers asked if I could just save the project directly to the web server, but there is no "Save As" option once a project has been created and I can't find any way to change the file path in Properties or Options.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The way you change the path is by copying the project to a different location.

However, your developers are helping you aim a shotgun directly at your knees by suggesting that you can save a project to the server. This is bad on a few different levels.

First, While RoboHelp edits HTML content similar to how Dreamweaver does, the output files are vastly different. A process has to occur to convert the source files to output files.

Second, These forums are littered with posts where all manner of issues are reported by working with projects while they are located on a server. That's a horrible approach is is doomed to problems.

Best practice is to only edit projects from your local C drive. Then you generate (also to the C drive) and you finally *PUBLISH* that final output to the server.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can always use Peter's approach and zip up copies of your projects for storage on the server for backup purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the request. Basically, now when we "publish", I copy the help content folder to our QA server after creating and testing on my PC, overwriting the old help folder. Then, after confirming that everything is functioning correctly, the help folder is copied over to our production server.

They were just inquiring whether I could save it to the QA server's file path after creating it on my PC, rather than dragging and dropping the folder.

Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could skip this step of manually copying the WebHelp folder contents (out of your local project's \!SSL!\ folder) by setting up the QA server's path in the Publish dialog of the SSL layout you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I set up the project to publish to the web server in the SSL settings, and it seems to publish correctly. The only problem seems to be that the system landing page is in the WebHelp subfolder, and after publishing the project the confirmation popup lists all the files being published to the correct paths. But when I actually look on the server, the updated (published) landing page is now in the main folder, while the old landing page file is still located in the WebHelp subfolder. I can changed the file path on the Help link to correct this, I was just wondering why the system wouldn't copy everything over within the same folders as the project on my PC.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp