Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7: I can't get the custom Bullet Image feature to work

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I want to make a bullet style with a circle shaped bullet. Using the RH default circle bullet gives me a circle that is too large for my taste, and I don't see any way to make it smaller. (Is there?) So I made my own circle bullet image. Then I entered the Bullets and Numbering dlg box for the style I am setting up,  and I used the Bullet image option to set the file name for the image I want. So far so good. Then I clicked OK however many times I was supposed to, to save my new style update and return to the Design window. Then lo and behold, what do I see - instead of seeing a lovely new little circle bullet, I see an angry red square (empty) in the place where the circular bullet should have been. So it is obviously signaling an error to me, but I can't think what the error could be. So far I have tried a PNG file and a GIF file for the image. (BTW, the HTML Prevew tool shows my bullets as small black squares.)

TIA

-avraham

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A red square means that RoboHelp cannot locate the file on your system. Is the path to the image correct? The path needs to be relative from the css and not from the individual topics where you use the path.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Willam,

Thanks for the quick response.

>> A red square means that RoboHelp cannot locate the file on your system.

Right - I suppose so.

>> Is the path to the image correct?

Well, I used the RH GUI to make this setting, so what could possibly go wrong ...

Ok, I will try to play with the path that RH is generating in the CSS, to see if that helps.

Thanks.

- avraham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - fixed it.

In the CSS file, RH had generated:

P.List_Bullet_L3 {

list-style: url("..\..\Bullet_L3.gif");

}

So I changed it to:

P.List_Bullet_L3 {

list-style: url("Bullet_L3.gif");

}

Now it works.
Thanks! 
-avraham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, it might be worth putting the image in the Baggage Files, as sometimes RH doesn't consider CSS linked files as part of the project when generating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I used the RH GUI to make this setting, so what could possibly go wrong ...

I wonder about that myself too...

One remark about the RoboHelp generated code: When you upgrade your RH7 project to RH8/9, this bulleted list will no longer work correctly. (RoboHelp is to blame for that.) You may want to check out http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/lists.htm which tells you how to refactor your pre RH8 lists to make them work in RH8/9. I think it's very worthwile to fix it now in RH7 to make sure you won't encounter any problems if you upgrade. Especially since you just created the list and can make it right without having to fix hundreds of topics.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp