• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help. I need help in demystifying the context sensitive Help Map ID management.

May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 550+ page RoboHelp 8 HTML help application. It's total content consists of topics from 4 Word 2007 documents. I generate the help in the Microsoft HTML Help format because we need the chm file for integration into the host application.

My developer has incorporated the help application into the host application.

When adding new topics to the help, I need to incorporate them into the Map ID s. The new topic does appear in the “Topic” section of the “Edit Map IDs” dialog box, but it does not appear in the “Map ID” section, so it can be assigned an ID #, and to the correct topic.

The only way I can get the topic into the “Map ID’s” section of the dialog box, is to do an “Auto-map” operation. This re-assigns all of the topics to new ID #s. In turn this necessitates re-assigning all of the previous “Map IDs” to their original "ID #s". After attempting to do that, many of the “Map IDs”, which were in the "Map ID" section of the Edit Map IDs dialog box, disappear! RoboHelp also will not allow the use of the original Map IDs, because they “cannot be reused”. I need to know how to add new topics, keep the original “Map ID #s”, with the original “Map IDs” and assign new Map ID#s to the new topics.

I must be missing something, I can’t imagine Adobe not having a way to add topics and assign an “ID #” and topic to them, without having to go through all the problems I am facing. All help is greatly appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways of doing map ids:

1. The writer creates the IDs and gives a file to the developer

You will need to select the map file you use, then click the New button to create a new ID which you can assign to the new topic.

2. The develper creates the IDs and gives a file to the writer.

You will need to get either an updated map file (.h ) from the developer (this is what we do, and just past the new file over the top of the old file - existing mappings remain unchanged), or add the new map id they created to your existing file, either by manually editing the .h file, or using the same process as point 1.

hope this helps,

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp