1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 2:08 AM by bowen192 Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
        Iangull249 Community Member

This is a rather long thread, but I want to add my 2 cents.

Rendering my company's book, (500 pages, containing 1 png per page or so) takes roughly 30 minutes. Horrible.

If we had known about this issue we probably would not have bought Framemaker. Our previous tool rendered the same content in a couple minutes.

Hopefully, this could be improved in future updates.

-Ian

• 41. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
          Sheila Carlisle Community Member

Ian, would you re-post your O/S info, and whether you're on a 64-bit system and/or in a VM?

Sheila

• 42. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
            Bob Niland (Error 7103) Community Member

Still did a save as pdf that took 30 minutes. Was kind of scared to print to a pdf.

As Arnis suggests, print to .ps and Distill from .ps to pdf separately.

Report the time for each, and see where the time sink is.

I never save as PDF or print to PDF anymore, because the Distill path provides much more control (plus, I'm usually printing to PS from FM7 on Unix, and Distilling on Windows 7 with CS5 Acrobat(9)).

I only see serious slowdowns when there are network issues, or the PS or TPS object is really huge (2-4GB) due to some imports.

• 43. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
              ReactionAtWork Community Member

Iangull249: I sympathise with your comments entirely.

A technical writer using Adobe products is expected to wait minutes to output his/her work to Acrobat, when other ancient non-Adobe applications (and all other current non-Adobe applications I use) take seconds. Using the PS first / distill later method makes little difference - I'm still waiting several minutes, even with a fresh install of TS3. And why should one have to operate a kludge like that, having just paid a large sum to Adobe for their very latest software?

The problem seems to be FrameMaker, since all my other non-Adobe applications output to the Adobe PDF printer at a perfectly acceptable speed.

• 44. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
                Bob Niland (Error 7103) Community Member

... Using the PS first / distill later method makes little difference - I'm still waiting several minutes, ...

Yes, but how long in each phase?

• 45. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
                  ddsbleton Community Member

I'm replying mostly so I can follow the topic, but we also experience profoundly long PDF rendering times (30 or more minutes for a ca. 500 page book), regardless of settings.

Our old tools (open source toolchain based on latex/docutils) took about 5 minutes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 46. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer

ddsbleton: I have tried all the recommendations, but none have any effect.

I recently 'upgraded' to TS3. After first uninstalling TS2, I then followed a detailed list of Adobe instructions about how to eradicate all traces of Acrobat left behind by the uninstaller. I then performed a fresh install of TS3 (from the DVD). The printing problem from FrameMaker (incorporating Link By Reference'd AI Illustrator files) to Acrobat has not improved at all, so for me output to Acrobat PDF remains terrible.

As a technical writer I have bought all of Adobe's latest programs, but I must not expect them to work together properly. I am expected to waste time producing an intermediate format for all of my illustrations, because FrameMaker doesn't understand Adobe's own flagship drawing program. And that's clearly not the only problem, as has been highlighted by so many people on this thread.

• 47. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
                      dcrouse10 Community Member

You can use a different program to create PDFs.  I know it boggles the imagination that Adobe's own product should have trouble with PDFs, but they do.

I use CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com), but there are lots of others out there.  They may not offer the same level of customization with regard to file size, but can certainly be faster and more robust than the home-grown variety.

• 48. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer

And now the problem has really hit home. I have nine different multilingual manuals, with native speakers sending me their corrections. After each set of corrections are applied I need to reprint the manual and make it available for further checking. It has just taken 18 MINUTES to print a 100 page manual to the Adobe PDF printer - and that's just one manual, following one pass of corrections.

**** ADOBE: FRAMEMAKER'S PRINTING PROBLEMS ARE HAVING A DISASTROUS AFFECT ON MY WORKFLOW! ***

• 49. Re: Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer
                          bowen192 Community Member

dcrouse10 wrote:

You can use a different program to create PDFs.  I know it boggles the imagination that Adobe's own product should have trouble with PDFs, but they do.

I use CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com), but there are lots of others out there.  They may not offer the same level of customization with regard to file size, but can certainly be faster and more robust than the home-grown variety.

It's not good, is it?

Things have got that bad now that I have to pdf in Foxit, manually add bookmarks and remove the Foxit mark manually in Acrobat, as this is faster/more reliable than using Adobe pdf.

As I said, not good at all.

1 2 Previous Next