16 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2011 7:21 AM by adninjastrator RSS

_blank issue

The Cruiser

I have a spry menu bar that has a link to a page that opens in about blank. The issue I'm having is after the page opens, if I hover over the spry menu bar that had the link to that page, the page minimizes.

If you have any idea what the problem is please help.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: _blank issue
          Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

Wow, I have never seen that. Do you have a link that we could see?

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 2. Re: _blank issue
            The Cruiser Community Member

Try this: http://www.frankton-lapel.org/schools/lshs/test/index.html

Hover over "Schools" and click on one of the links, then when the page is up hover over the same menu bar (the black one) and it should minimize the page.

Try it in IE because firefox makes the page go into a tab rather than _blank.

Thanks for your reply I hope you have an idea what's wrong.

• 3. Re: _blank issue
              John Waller CommunityMVP

Hover over "Schools" and click on one of the links, then when the page is up hover over the same menu bar (the black one) and it should minimize the page.

For me, it opens a new website in a new tab in IE8 and IE9, as expected.

• 4. Re: _blank issue

I think what the problem is is that when you hover over the spry bar something loads on the page. I guess when it loads its automatically putting that page up.

How do you make the bar not load on a hover like it is?

• 5. Re: _blank issue
                  John Waller CommunityMVP

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean?

What bar?

• 6. Re: _blank issue
                    Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

It all works fine for me in Chrome, Firefox and IE. I don't see any

problems or anything unexpected happening.

--

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 7. Re: _blank issue

When you hover over a spry menu bar does it have to load a picture?

• 8. Re: _blank issue

I am on IE 7 having the issue.

Again, when you hover over schools on the bottom bar, click on one of the links. When the page opens in _blank it is smaller than the full screen. The main index page should still be behind the page that opened in _blank. Hover over the same bar that opened the _blank page and it minimizes the _blank page.

• 9. Re: _blank issue
                          adninjastrator Community Member

I don't see any problem in IE7.

As far as I know you can't control the size of another window by just simply hovering.

But, IE will remember the window size used when it was last closed. So if you close IE at full screen, it will open in full screen. If you close IE with a much smaller or minimized window, that's the size it will open in the next time you use it.

So unless you last closed IE when it was full screen, clicking a menu link in a newly opened IE Web page, will not open in full screen, but rather at the window size you last closed IE at.

_blank does not mean full screen, but simply open in a new window.. and it will be in whatever size you last closed IE. Now perhaps you are minimizing IE and then closing it.... so when you open IE next time, it's remembering the minimized size. So you click a link, open new window, give focus back to the first window....second window returns to it "opening default" size.

Try testing by just opening the main page, maximize to full screen, close IE (File / Exit). Open the page again and then test. Open main page, open second page. Go back and give first page the focus... hover or whatever.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 10. Re: _blank issue

That makes since, but unfortunatly I am still having the same issue. When I open the page in _blank It still opens as a small window even after I exited the last page at fullscreen. Since it opens as a smaller window I can still see the previous page I was on that is still fullscreen. When I hover the bar it doesnt actually minimize the page in _blank but it sends it to the back because I an now focused on the page that was fullscreen. Would you be able to change that in the     ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:hover,ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:focus rule in the css?

• 11. Re: _blank issue

Far as I know there is nothing you can do to change the size of a different window (window 2) from window 1 once window 2 has been opened... at least not with simple html or css...

For testing... maximize the second window, then Exit it before giving focus back to first window. Then maximize first window and Exit that also.

Then start over and test again.

Adninjastrator

• 12. Re: _blank issue

The problem I'm having isn't that the second window is smaller, it is that when you hover over the bar again the second window moves behind the first window and is in the background.

• 13. Re: _blank issue

Don't know the exact answer... but here are a couple observations:

Yes, hovering over the second menu bar in window 1 does "grab focus" and window 2 moves behind it.

Without tearing the second menu bar apart, it's hard to tell if that is the problem or if it's more of a "browser" issue.

But, clicking and opening the second window (the _blank) brings up a page with many, many code errors, including no DOCTYPE declaration. This may be preventing that browser window from getting and holding focus.

Now once I manually move window 2 back in front of window 1, the hover has no effect... so I still think it's a browser issue... having to deal with a poorly coded page in window 2.

Validate those pages here:

http://validator.w3.org/

then test again.

If that fixes it...great! if not, a least you are one step closer to solving the problem... plus those _blank pages will work better.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 14. Re: _blank issue

Is this a common issue? Do you think that it is a problem with the bar or the page in _blank? If it is my bar what would the problem probably be?

I understand what you are saying and it is helpful but I would really like to resolve this isue if we can.

-Thanks.

• 15. Re: _blank issue

I just now found out that on the bar at the right there are links to forms. They link to pdfs in _blank. The pdfs are staying focused unlike the htmls. I just thought that I would tell you this in case it might help with the issue.

• 16. Re: _blank issue

No it's not a common issue. As another poster mentioned, he'd never seen anything like it before... neither have I.

As for the PDFs working but not the HTML pages, that would make sense if the problem is that those HTML page are faulty, full of coding errors and cannot fully maintain focus. The PDFs on the other hand are correctly formed code which the browser can understand and correctly parse.

So either try correcting those other HTML pages (then validate again)....

Or create a simple "Hello World" new Web page. Make sure that it validates at the link I included earlier. Put that page in the menu along with the 3 pages that are causing problems and test that.

The reason for using a DOCTYPE declaration in the <head> of the HTML page is that it tells the browser which set of rules to use when parsing (reading the code and displaying content) the page. Without a set of rules, it drives the browser wacky and you could well get unexpected behavior like you are seeing.

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the menu, but rather I suspect those HTML pages being linked to.

Best of luck!

Adninjastrator