• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why is zend framework required

Participant ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I want to connect a flex app to php do I have to have zend installed on my server?

TOPICS
PHP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zend Framework is a popular open-source PHP framework that includes many components useful for writing high-quality PHP applications. It needs to be installed in your PHP runtime in order to enable dynamic class loading in the gateway script that translates between PHP and ActionScript objects. Zend Framework is included in Zend Server and Zend Server CE; if using a different PHP runtime, you should download and install it separately.

Some helpful links:

FAQ - http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/flash-builder-for-php/

PHP/Flex integration with gateway script - http://files.zend.com/help/Flash-Builder-for-PHP/Help/php_support_properties.htm

Enjoy,

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but is it required??

for instance, in flash there is no requirement to use a php framework, but you can if you wish of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2011 May 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to work with PHP and Flex then yes, it is required to enable the communication between the Web server (PHP based) and the client (Mobile, Web, Desktop).

You should read the FAQ page which also explains with more details and examples:

http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/flash-builder-for-php/faq

Enjoy,

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roy, thanks for responding.

I was able to connect without zend using  URLLoader.

I am not sure why every tutorial that I have come across ( maybe 5-7 tuts ) guides me through the zend setup ( Data/Service ) when connecting to php as if it is the only way ... zend should be treated as an extra layer that users may or may not want to use, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again!

Zend Framework is definitely not the only choise for PHP and Flex developers, but it will save you tons of time when your application scale and your requirements are extended with performance, authentication, authorization demands. There are also lots of advantages in using Zend Framework + Flash Builder for PHP as most of the services connection and binding is streamlined in your development environment, such as easy project creation, PHP service introspection and Flex/PHP debugging.  

My hint is to go with the "tutorials way" and not with the simple way you suggested unless you are a really experienced developer tht want to do things "your way". Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy the product!

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines