Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary reports

May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find an option in RH X5 to run a report listing glossary terms and which topics contain glossary hotspots link to each term.  Does anyone know how to obtain such information?

Thanks for any help.

Diane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane.

Unfortunately there is no report that does exactly what you want. The Glossary report has a summary and detailed view but manages to miss the one piece of information (which topics the hotspots have been added to which topics) that you require. However all is not lost. Each hotspot adds the tag <?rh-glo_start ?> to the XHTML of each topic. If you search for this using a tool like FAR HTML you'll see a list of topic.

BTW I'd urge you to submit a feature request to get this extra detail added to the Glossary report. The more than do, the greater chance it will be added in a future release. You can do so here.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

Unfortunately the information Colum provided is a wee bit inaccurate. I'm guessing he was thinking you were using a newer version than X5. When I look at the code in X5, my expanding Glossary text looks like this:

Click to see larger view

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact the code behind glossary hotspots isn't always the same in my project.  In one place this is the code...

<a

class=glossterm

x-use-popup=#POPUP194565872

x-popup-type=expanding

href="javascript:kadovTextPopup(this)"

id=a1>exceptions</a><!--begin!kadov{{--><script type="text/javascript"

language=JavaScript1.2><!--

kadovTextPopupInit('a1');

//--></script><!--}}end!kadov-->

...while in another it reads this way:

<a class=glossterm

x-use-popup=#POPUP176190040

x-popup-type=expanding

id=HotSpot7687>indirect debt</a><!--begin!kadov{{--><script type="text/javascript"

kadovTextPopupInit('HotSpot7687');

So a couple of questions:

• Was the information you gave me for RoboHelp X5 or a different version?
  • Do you know if FAR HTML would work for RH X5?
  • Do you know why the code behind a glossary hotspot would be different from one spot to another?  Could it depend on how the glossary term was linked - whether through RH's Glossary Wizard, or manually simply by dragging and dropping a glossary term to the desired topic text?

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

Part of the difference in the code is that each of the hotspots has a unique identification. That's the x-use-popup=#POPUP194565872 bit.

The other difference I note is in the actual ID bit. One seems to have an ID of a1 and the an ID beginning with Hotspot. I'm unclear as to why RoboHelp would assign them differently. Perhaps if a1 has already been used elsewhere it begins with a different phrasing. I know it's always done that with controls such as Shortcut or Related Topics. The first insert will bear the name of the control while subsequent inserts will bear names like object1 or OBJECT1 depending on whether they were copied and pasted or inserted via the menu. (copy/paste results in a lower case object1 while menu insertion results in an all caps OBJECT1)

I really can't see any difference in the code that is induced by dragging and dropping VS using the wizard. Perhaps one exists. If so, I am not seeing it.

FAR HTML works with HTML. All RoboHelp HTML versions work with HTML whether it's basic HTML or XHTML (can I use the XML buzzword here so I sound all cool like I've just manifested a plasma ball or something?)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2011 May 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

Boy, I'm sure puzzled by this glossary thing.  You said:

"I really can't see any difference in the code that is induced by dragging and dropping VS using the wizard. Perhaps one exists. If so, I am not seeing it."

But when I add a link to a glossary term using drag and drop rather than the wizard, then change the definition, run the wizard and get to the file where I added the term with drag and drop,  it says "The selected term is not defined in the current topic."  It only finds the ones that were added by the wizard.

Just as a test on your thoughts on how the ID is handled in the code...I created a new HTML file and added a new glossary term using a word I know isn't anywhere else in the project.  When I added links to the new glossary term in the new HTML file, one with drag and drop and the other with the wizard, I still get the results I explained above.  And the code behind each link is as follows:

For manually added hotspot:

<a class=glossterm

x-use-popup=#POPUP177119337

x-popup-type=expanding

id=a1>Manual glossary term - Diane Test</a><!--begin!kadov{{--><script

type="text/javascript"

kadovTextPopupInit('a1');

For wizard added hotspot:

<a class=glossterm

x-use-popup=#POPUP177323812

x-popup-type=expanding

id=HotSpot44001>Diane Test</a><!--begin!kadov{{--><script

type="text/javascript"

kadovTextPopupInit('HotSpot44001');

Apparently (as you suggested) since this glossary term had not been used previously in the project, it doesn't use the "a1" in the ID. 

Bottom line on my problem is if the code isn't consistent behind manually added hotspots (those using drag and drop), how can you create any kind of search to find all those occurrences?  I have a long list of definitions to change and know the wizard won't find many of them because I know they were not added using the wizard.

I'd love to know how everyone else works with their glossaries?  Is my client unusual in not wanting to let the hotspots be added using  one of RH Wizard's two options - define at only the first occurrence in each topic, or define all occurrences and instead picking and choosing random places to add the glossary hotspot links which requires the drag and drop method?

As always, thanks for any help.

Diane

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Diane

Part of the difference in the code is that each of the hotspots has a unique identification. That's the x-use-popup=#POPUP194565872 bit.

The other difference I note is in the actual ID bit. One seems to have an ID of a1 and the an ID beginning with Hotspot. I'm unclear as to why RoboHelp would assign them differently. Perhaps if a1 has already been used elsewhere it begins with a different phrasing. I know it's always done that with controls such as Shortcut or Related Topics. The first insert will bear the name of the control while subsequent inserts will bear names like object1 or OBJECT1 depending on whether they were copied and pasted or inserted via the menu. (copy/paste results in a lower case object1 while menu insertion results in an all caps OBJECT1)

I really can't see any difference in the code that is induced by dragging and dropping VS using the wizard. Perhaps one exists. If so, I am not seeing it.

FAR HTML works with HTML. All RoboHelp HTML versions work with HTML whether it's basic HTML or XHTML (can I use the XML buzzword here so I sound all cool like I've just manifested a plasma ball or something?)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp