• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I import an entire help system created by JavaHelp into RoboHelp 7?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working for a company whose software program is written in Java. They used JavaHelp to create their

Help system, but now they want to start using RoboHelp 7.

The Help system is very large with hundreds of topics.

Can someone talk to me about how I will go about importing the HTML files, the Helpset, TOC, map files, stylesheet, etc?

This is new to me and I need some advice for such a large project.

Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has been used to create the JavaHelp?

Is it necessary to continue producing JavaHelp? Very often WebHelp can be used and that is much easier to work with. There is some information about JavaHelp on my site that covers this aspect.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy.

When you say they used "JavaHelp to create their help system" do you mean they generated HTML files directly from the Java application? If so, I guess you do not have access to any other sort of help file source. I ask because JavaHelp is just one of the output types you can create from RoboHelp and if you had the RoboHelp project source files, things would be easier.

Assuming you haven't, I'd create a brand new project from the File > New > Project menu. Then use the File > Import > HTML/XHTML Files menu to import the required HTML files. You'll find your project already has a style sheet and map file built in. You can apply this to the topics or build your own. If you have one already, copy this manually into the project directory in Windows Explorer and set this via each topic's properties. You can multi-select topics if this helps. You can also import map files but let's leave that for now!

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Yes, I do believe they generated HTML files directly from the Java application. They have not used RoboHelp before. What I have is the folder structure that starts with JavaHelp > JarHere > com > and so on down to the individual folders that contain the html files. (I'm not sure what this sentence exactly means: having "access to any other sort of help file source" so maybe you can ask me that another way if you need to?)

My assignment is to "import all of the help files into RoboHelp and make the output type JavaHelp. The Help needs to be embedded and context-sensitive with good search features."

I have RoboHelp 7 HTML version: When I open RoboHelp and go to File > New > Project, a window appears with 2 tabs... New and Import. When I click the Import tab, I am presented with these options:

• Microsoft HTML Help Project
  • Word Document
  • WinHelp
  • Winhelp Project
  • PDF Document... So I don't see an option for HTML/XHTML.

When I look on the New Tab, I am presented with these options:

• WebHelp
  • WebHelp Pro
  • FlashHelp
  • FlashHelp Pro
  • HTML Help
  • Custom

When I click the Help button they say at the bottom: "Note: To create a JavaHelp or Oracle Help project, create a new single source layout."

So it sounds to me like I need to "create a new sigle source layout" but I don't know what that means or if that will allow me to import the HTML files.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that just because your application is in Java that you need JavaHelp. When I arrived here I was horrified to see that had done just that with one product and did everything I could to get them to realise their mistake. If you want a list of the reasons I gave, click here. I really would suggest that you go back and convince the powers that make the decision to change their minds. Sure it will require some work on their part but believe me you and they won't regret it. JavaHelp is truly awful!

Once you have done that, I also urge you to get some RoboHelp training. For what you are trying to achieve you will need a lot of hand holding. Whilst these forums may provide part of that answer, some training or books would give you an enormous head start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,
Thank you for the list... my boss did say that they've had a lot of trouble with bad nested lists, tables, numbering, etc. I will present the list!
My questions now are:
1. What output type will I suggest to them? (I'm thinking the basic WebHelp since it's format works with different browsers and platforms which is important).
2. What extra work shall I mention that the programmers will need to do?
Thanks,
Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article on my site that I pointed you to suggests WebHelp. The developers will have to change their calls.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What output you choose will depend on where it sits. WebHelp is a good option for web or intranet based output. If you are installing locally, Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM file) is normally the way to go. WebHelp allows a fair degree of customisation over the look and feel and also has better capability for large help systems. That said, CHM files also cope well with large help systems and require slightly less set-up. With WebHelp you have to consider which skin to use although you can always use the default skin built into each RH project.

As for your developers, things to consider is how the help will be called and will be different depending on the output. Webhelp offers a few different ways of calling the help whereas there is really only one with CHM files. You'll also need to think of whether your application has context senstitive (F1) help to link directly to a topic. You can import a map file or just manually edit the existing default map file. Bare in mid that with WebHelp output you may not need a map file at all (see the Calling WebHelp link below).

Have a peruse of these links:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent point on the location... the help files will be local.

Also, this company's software is designed to be installed on both Windows and Solaris systems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHM files on Solaris and Windows should be fine. How many HTML files will there be? You'll need to think about the help file structure and whether you need more than one RoboHelp Project but the answer to the first question will help us help you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently there are 1700 html files divided among 10 folders (looking at the tree structure) and I'm sure we will be adding some files... so ballpark would be 2000 html files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes... it does need to be context senstitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you available today?

I was wonder what you thought of the size of my project.

Also, wondering if you know of any video training course packages that cover

RH7 that are affordable? I need to learn about how to structure this large

project, like tocs... etc

Thanks,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Colum is not around today.

That number of topics in that number of folders should be fine from the technical point of view but I would personally have some sub-folders just to make it more manageable.

On courses, I suggest Rick might be the person. I am sure he will pop along shortly.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter.

I used RoboHelp years ago, but it was from the ground-up and quite simple.

This is a very large project with lots of people counting on me!

Thanks,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy.

Yes I am here but only one and off until Monday. With a project that size I'd normally suggest a merged approach, particularly if there is more than one person needing to make changes at the same time. However it may be do-able in a single project. There are a lot of variables though. For example the numbe of images, PC specification, baggage files, links, bookmarks, etc. etc.

As for structure of your projects, have one RH project as your master and then others that contain all the content. Dor example you can structure these additional projects by looking at the top level TOC books. The ide then is that you merge (basically include a reference) to the other projects inside the main project's TOC. Exactly how you do this (and the implications thereof) depends on the output being used. If you go for CHMs, you should check out these links:

Althought they refer to older RH versions the advice still holds. As for training on RH7, this is a fairly old version. To be honest for your task I doubt whether a training course or video would meet your needs. They would cover the basics but not much else. There are plenbty of independent training consultants that frequent these forums that would be only too happy to help. If you let me know where are you based I can put introduce you to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply. I saw the time and assumed you'd have the

weekend off!

I haven't presented the CHM option yet because I know my boss is convinced

that we have to use JavaHelp so I want to learn more first.

I am located in Texas.

In case it matters... I am a real literal thinker so if you know a trainer

like that, it would probably be best.

Thank you,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out:

Tell them I sent you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I sure will tell them you sent me!

Have a great weekend!

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Texan (I was born in Houston and grew up in Austin and now live in Colorado)

I offer training, but given your budget, etc. perhaps you could try Rick Stone's GooberGuides (eBooks). That might be just the thing you need.

http://www.gooberguides.com/

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Evergreen, Colorado
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for writing. Do you miss Texas? We're having a severe drought in the south... worst ever in my opinion. Hopefully you can enjoy the cool of

Colorado!

I do have specific questions for this project.

Can you recommend a good book that is very detailed and explains the thought process behind different actions when using RoboHelp?

Thanks,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kathy

I do miss Texas, especially Austin where I lived for 16 years. I love live music.

Lamentably, there are no "good books" anymore because software is released so often now, it's not economical for the publisher.

Given your budget and your time limitation, perhaps you could get Rick Stone's Goober Guide. Then, contact Rick to see what it would cost for a virtual training session to fill in the blanks after you go through the self-study material (assuming Rick is available!)

A 3 day class is what you really need, but that is not always possible or affordable. Maybe this will give you a start.

Thanks

john

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy

I'm the guy they keep referring to. I've been using RoboHelp since version 2 back in 1992. As mentioned elsewhere, I do offer a training guide. I use this guide for my own classes as well as sell it for others to learn RoboHelp on their own. I've heard comments back from happy users that claim it's actually better than another guide that is widely used.

I'd be willing to work with you on a piecemeal basis if you like where you would be able to ask any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

My site is in my sig lines.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for contacting me!

This sounds like a great plan... I'll contact you tomorrow.

Thank you everybody!

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kathy

Unfortunately I'm tied up tomorrow through Friday facilitating a RoboHelp class via the internet. I'll be available sometime after 5:00 PM central.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp