Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to Insert Code "Snippets"

May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought using RoboHelp Snippets would be what I need, but RH uses them as variables.  I need the ability to quickly insert code.  Styles would work to some extent, but I need more than that.  For example, sometimes I want to include comments (<!-- -->) with some tags, to assist the writers.  I searched the help, but couldn't find what I needed.  Is there a way, in RH9, to add code chunks?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community Jeff

I'm a bit confused. Are you wanting to insert snippets that readers of your help systems may copy or view?

Or are these instead, snippets that other RoboHelp users will use as they make edits to your project?

As you mention comments, those may be inserted easily by clicking Insert > HTML > Comment. You might also add this to a toolbar or assign your own keyboard shortcut to it for simpler access.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about HTML code, so yeah, this would be an internal audience.  In our current system, inserting code blocks makes things efficient because, instead of typing each tag in a table, for example, you just drop the code "snippet" into the document, then the writer fills it in with descriptive text.  I think styles will get me most of where I want to go, but all they'll do, if I'm understanding them right, is attach a CSS style to selected text, not add comments.  For example, I might want to have the following code chunk:

<table>

<thead>
<th></th><!--Column header 1-->

<th></th><!--Column header 2-->

<th></th><!--Column header 3-->

</thead>

<tfoot></tfoot><!--usually not used, but just in case-->

<tr><!--use rowspan="x" if a cell needs to take up multiple rows-->

<td></td><!--use colspan="x" if a cell takes up multiple columns-->

<td></td>

<td></td>

</tr>

This is an extreme example, but I want the writers to be able to plop that chunk of code into their document, then fill in the blanks.

Message was edited by: Jeff at Infor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff.

I'd say you'd be better off using a macro record tool such as Macro Express for this sort of thing. You just setup your macro with the code, then open up the HTML of the topic and insert.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or are you looking to just display samples of code? You could capture them as images and insert the image into the RH topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, welcome to the community.

Could you explain what you mean by "code chunks"? Do you want to add comments to aid writers? Do you want to quickly insert a default set of text to help writers get started on a topic? Or perhaps you want to do something completely different.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmmh, crowded... Everyone seems to be very active today. I would lay off the coffee for a while Rick and Jeff .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp