Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Box Tool in Acrobat X?

May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions of Acrobat, I created standard text boxes in my forms.  I was able to open an existing file, click on the Text Box icon, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and then Ctrl+V into a new document.  I can't figure out how to do that in Acrobat X.  Can anyone point me int he right direction?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you're asking. What are you selecting when you "Select All"? (Ctrl-A)?

Are you asking how to put a Text field in a form? (That users will fill in?) Or how to put a Text Box on a document (form or otherwise) that you can use to enter text, but is technically a Comment tool? Or how to select all the text inside of a Text Box (a comment) or a user's completed Text field, and paste it into  a new document (a Word file? or a new PDF?)

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already got text boxes in an existing form. I use the same text boxes in a number of documents, so typically just copy and paste them from one PDF to another. I'm unable to get to a place where I can just choose the text boxes for copying purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I wish the morons who misrepresent themselves as "experts" especially when they say "I don't understand what your asking.." If you don't understand plain English-- don't advertise the fact that you are ILLITERATE!     Any way, for you sir, this is how you do that:

Go to: Tools > Content > Edit Document.  A bounding box will appear. Drag your mouse over the text you want to change, edit, etc., then type your new text text and then press "Delete" or Choose "Edit."

You can also go into "Touch up Properties" for font and style changes by going to:  Tools > Content > Edit Document Text.

I don't know why Adobe got rid of the "Touch up Text" tool. STUPID!

I hope this helps, some.

PS: They've hiddedn "Preflight" too.  Only way to access it in X is by  pressing: Crtl Shift X, but Tech support won't tell you that unless you pay them.

Well, now you can pay me....I accept prayers on the behalf of those in desperate need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why Adobe got rid of the "Touch up Text" tool. STUPID!

The touchup text tool is available in Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd,

It must be a well-kept secret. I can't find it.

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works in mine

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm glad it works for someone. I've communicated with many users that are experiencing the same issues I am. Do you work on a PC or a MAC?

I wonder if the PC operating system has anything to do with it? Could it be it is incompatible with Vista or Windows 7?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on windows 7 - 32 bit. You may have something there. Maybe it

has something to do with OS or even ancillary products installed.

Thanks,

Jean

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl6DOF wrote:

PS: They've hiddedn "Preflight" too.  Only way to access it in X is by  pressing: Crtl Shift X, but Tech support won't tell you that unless you pay them.

Not quite, you can select: Tools > Print Production > Preflight

but you may have to configure the Tools pane to show the Print Production panel.

This is also explained in the Acrobat 10 help doc: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/844010?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

No you can't, not in Acrobat X. I have it, and you can't access Preflight from there, I tried. Doesn't matter because Preflight does not work in

v. X. No wonder that they hid it.

Thanks George,

Take care,

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I was able to use Cntrl C&V to copy/paste text boxes from one to the

other - it

seemed to work with either the select text, select object or the textbox

tool.

I had a similar thing at work a while ago, and if you are using the same

comments consistently, I found that using the export and import data file

option under comment summary saved me a lot of unnecessary steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jallisy,

Very helpful. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl6DOF:

First, please refrain from personal attacks on other forum users or your account will be suspended. The forum acceptable use policy is very clear in this respect.

Preflight is most certainly available in Acrobat X Pro, under the Tools > Print Production Pane, as the previous reply screenshot shows. The Print Production Pane is hidden by default but can be turned on from the dropdown menu, again as previous posters have explained.

The Touchup Document Text tool is still there in the Tools > Content Pane, but it is now called "Edit Document Text" (The Typewriter tool is now called "Add or Edit Text Box" and the Touchup Object tool is called "Edit Object"). Feedback indicated that users didn't relate to the words "touchup" and "typewriter" when they were looking for ways to edit PDF files, and the tools have also been enhanced to work in a more intuitive way that makes the general verb "edit" more appropriate. All these tools are fully explained in the product help file, the getting started videos, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help files spew mostly marketing hype about what you can do with these alleged tools. They doo not "explain everything." The FIRST instructions they should give is how to access them, and not waste people's time on another commercial.

Yes, the truth bothers many these days. Don't read or respond to it, just keep perpetrating the false, misleading, misrepresentative company propaganda like a good little blind sheep.

I could not care less if my account is "suspended" as it is of very little value and of no significance. The sun will still rise tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TotoTwiga wrote:

In previous versions of Acrobat, I created standard text boxes in my forms.  I was able to open an existing file, click on the Text Box icon, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and then Ctrl+V into a new document.  I can't figure out how to do that in Acrobat X.  Can anyone point me int he right direction?  Thanks!

The gear icon ( customize quick tools) on the Tool bar at the top and click, in the dialog box go to Choose Quick tools > Comment > Drawing mark up Click the arrow pointing to right  in the middle verticle bar and click OK. This will create the required icons including the text box icon on the top bar and can be easily assessed any time. Rt click after selecting the text box to modify it the way you like eg make it transparent. Copy and paste from other files and the text will sit in this box without running a mile sideward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HATE the new Tools pane, earlier Acrobat versions were SO MUCH easier to use. For some reasons the designers of Acrobat X inexplicably decided to make a lot of simple tasks require more steps (argh!!!). For example - to simply close the Tool pane you have to select a TINY drop down box, scroll down to the bottom, and then select "Close Tool Pane". It's bad enough that you have to deal with the Tools pane in the first place, would have been to much effort to have included an "X" in the corner of the Tool pane to close it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the majority of users that are expressing frustration with the functionality of Acrobat X.  It is really hit and miss. The fact that a user has to copy a text box over and over again without being able to use the standard text box or typewriter functions is in a word 'primitive' and Adobe should be ashamed.  But when you are the only game in town, you don't have to listen to customers.

What I tried just now was to add text using the Add Text tool ( you know the one that lets you add text easily, but you are left with red text surround by a box as the default ).

I then highlighted the red text in that box.

With the text highlighted, go up to the top tool bar just below the    File      Edit     View     Window      Help - Bar.

Right click on that tool box and select Properties Bar  to launch the Text Box Text Properties.

Now I can use that Text Properties box for any Text that I added.

I have no idea yet how to add that Text Box Text Properties button to the tool bar yet.

I worked for Xerox for 19 years and the original postscript was a brainchild from someone out of PARC and that whole Acrobat insanity is a continuation of great thinking, that most of the time, "just missed the target."   The difference is; Acrobat has a monopoly on it - kind of like AutoCAD.  And Adobe, unlike Xerox, doesn't care about Customer Satisfaction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer (Hopefully): It is under the "Comment" tab on the right. Then under the "Drawing Markups" link. It is the first one there.

Right-Click and select "Properties" to edit the box itself. After highlighting/selecting the text, Hit "Control+E" to edit the text color and font of a text box. If you have the actual box selected, you can also hit "Control+E" instead of right-clicking and selecting "Properties" I think.

If anyome knows how to find the text-color and font settings without using "Control+E", I'd like to know.

Let me just say, my fiancee just bought Acrobat X and I had to have it on MY computer instead of hers since we had to install MY copy of Acrobat Pro 9 on her's a long time ago (long story. lol). Anyway, OH MY GOODNESS, there is quite a learning curve for simple things like a text-box and even typewrite tool. I feel all of your pain!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks wdavid4adobe for another wat to find trhe text properties!   Surely there's another way as well though. A shortcut button would be nice, or to find it nestled in a drop-down somewhere would be nice.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone that replied to this thread.  Adobe has taken a simple thing like adding a text box and made it a rediculously complicated affair.  Why change such a basic process?  It does NOTHING for functionality!  I use acrobat to create forms for my office and this makes what was simple a very painful process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have to agree with jrcrawdadNH: the fact that this thread even exists will (I hope) make Acrobat's designers take note. This could be a really good program, but the UI hides its capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines