Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Process Instance Details Question

Level 3

Hi All,

So where I am exactly.  Admin UI -> Services -> LiveCycle Process Management ES ->Process Search ->Process Instance ->Process Instance Detail

I have been coming across a few cases where I am having a process that shows its status as running but if you open the operation the operation shows as complete on the line and running in the summary.  This makes it so the process instance operation is unable to be retried.  The only option that works is to terminate the running (but completed) operation.  This then kicks off the next operation.

My question is simple.  Is there a way to track processes that are in the limbo state mentioned above?  Running, yet complete, and not moving on to the next step in the process so I can find them and move them along?

Attached are a couple screenshots to help demonstrate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

~Josh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

These are the actual database tables

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Level 2

Hi All,

I had the same issue, and the only way to track this is via LCES data model, checking the status of the running processes/actions...

Regards,

Julian

Level 3

LCES data model?  How does one use that?  Or is it a separate module of LC?

Correct answer by
Level 2

These are the actual database tables

Level 3

Oh you had your process separated out into multiple processes and were able to track which one was "stalled" but were not really stalled according to process management that way?  My process isn't split out as it wasn't very complex.  Couple of electronic signatures passed around a span of control...

Unless I am not following and you are tracking it through tables other than tb_pt_(process_name) and tb_Process_Instance?

~Josh

Level 3

Nevermind im following you.  Can get the info from tb_task.  Its just a lot of junk to go through.

Thanks.

~Josh

Level 10

I don't find any odd behavior in your second second screenshot..

It can be described as:

Your process is in RUNNING state and one of the "Task" (you currently selected) is in COMPLETED state.

A process might have 'n' number of Tasks and the process said to be COMPLETE only when all the Tasks are completed OR the it reached the last Task.

One possiblity for your case is, one of the activity might have STALLED. Thus your process is still RUNNING without complete.

The firt screenshot clearly shows that there is Task RUNNING thus the process also in RUNNING state..

Regards,

Nith

Level 3

Hi Nith,

The screenshots coincide, screenshot 1 shows the processes at the process instance detail area of the adminui,  The process that is opened is Handle_EmpHandbook - 1.3 and I am trying to highlight the operation called Employee Handbook and State Policies.  It shows that the process is running and the operation is running(and not complete).  The second screenshot is showing the operation Employee Handbook and State Policies opened to the operation details portion of adminui.  In the second screenshot it shows that the operation is running and completed.  If the operation is actually complete it should not be running and it should have a complete date.

I am open to more suggestions as I can't be the only person to run into this.  I was able to find the processes that were in this stalled, but not stalled, state by using the task tables, but it wasn't the most fun I've had!

~Josh

Level 10

Josh,

You are correct. I misinterpret the second sceen as I through the status(RUNNING) was pertaining to process and not task.

Sorry for the delusion.

Nith

Level 10

Josh,

Did you find a solution for this issue? I have got the same issue today.

Nith

Level 3

Hi Nith,

My solution was nothing glamorous.  I didn't document my exact method but if I remember correctly it was a few different selects or selects with joins on the main long lived process of mine, the tb_task table and tb_process_instance table.  Looking for things that were inconsistent.  Unfortunately I do not remember what I found to be inconsistent... I should have documented that more.  I was just messing around for awhile until I figured it out.

~Josh

Level 10

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not bother about the report/tracking details.

My process has just hanged in between; this is due to one of the task is not fully COMPLETED and not moved to the next activity of the workflow.

Did you find any solution how to move forward?

Thanks,

Nith

Level 3

Hi Nith,

The only way I was able to move an operation on to the next step that was showing as completed but wouldn't move forward was to terminate the completed operation ithe process was stuck on.

It didn't seem to do any harm but depending on your process you would probably want to test it somehow first.  My process was a fairly easy one to restart so I didn't have any issues with terminating one.

~Josh

Level 10

Thanks Josh,

If termination is an option on the problematic activity, it will try it out.

But I'm afraid how to identify an acitvity which doesn't move forward. Since it a high-usage PROD environment, the users wouldn't know and they might wait for the service delivered.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know this option.

Nith