• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 - resource manager notifies about files out of sync, but all attempts to fix it fail

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried to find similar posts but with the forum search feature broken I could not find anything useful.

I am a new user of RoboHelp HTML 9 and am learning the product.

My platform is a desktop PC running Windows XP with SP3.

As I proceed I am building a trial project using new features as I go.

When I open the project now I get this message:

RH9_ 2011-05-16_02.jpg

Even if I just click Skip and close it, it pops up again later.

Clicking Sync or going to the Resource Manager (RM) fails to fix these links.

In Manage Linked Resources in the RM I get the following:

RH9_ 2011-05-16_01.jpg

The first "Modified in both locations" photo displayed in the left "Resource in the project" pane visually looks the same as the one in the right "Resource in the shared location" pane.

The same applies to the second photo.

in my attempts to fix this problem, clicking any combination of the buttons (Sync/Replace Link) and radio-buttons (Update in the project/Update in the shared location) do not work for either file. I always get the same result: "Unable to update file(s)".

I am wary of using Remove Links because I want the link to be retained so RM can notify if someone changes the file, and if removed I don't know how to restore the links (if at all possible).

What could be the cause of the problem? How can I fix it? (i.e. resync the links).

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

This is a longshot so only try it on a copy of your project.

Create a copy of the Resource folder, it is important you do not delete the existing folder at this stage.

With the copy of your project closed, open rhsharedresource.apj in a text editor such as Notepad. You will see the current path and can edit it there to show the path to the new Resource folder.

Trash the CPD file in the copy and then reopen the project.

I haven't tried it and I have to say I am doubtful it will work because of other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share the snapshot of the error dialog which says "Unable to update file(s)".

In addition, try the below mentioned steps :

1.Close your project.

2. Delete the .cpd file from the project folder.

3. Re-open the project.

4. Sync the resources by selecting "update in the project" radio button and click Sync.

Let me know your findings.

Thanks,

Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Aditi,

This is the snapshot of the error dialog you requested:

RH9_ 2011-05-18_01.jpg

I performed the steps you suggested. The result is the same as before (no change in behaviour).

Clicking Sync in step 4 produced this:

RH9_ 2011-05-18_02.jpg

I then clicked Override (this popup is confusing - I would expect "yes" and "no" buttons to answer that question).

Next popped up the same Linked Resources Notification but naming the other file.

I then clicked Override again, and the error dialog at the top appeared.

I did notice that the original .cpd file that I removed was a 1MB fle (I just moved it to another location).

After reopening the project a new .cpd file was created which is only 876kB.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

Hylton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hylton,

Seems you are using one of the currently used project folder as the shared location.
Resource Manager expects the shared location to be some location outside the currently used project folder.

.cpd file is a cache data of project files that keeps on updating automatically. Due to this, size may vary at times.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aditi,

Yes, the location is a subfolder in the project folder. Is this not allowed?

I used Windows Explorer to create the folder and I used RoboScreenCapture to put some pictures there. When I selected it as the source for my topics' pictures in Resource Manager, I did not see anything about this not being allowed, and I also didn't get any warning messages about this. The reason I created the folder there is so that all my picture files from various sources (scanner, screen captures, camera, etc.) that are used in the project would also be backed-up automatically as part of the project folder backup. Everything in this folder is used only in this project.

How can I move the folder and it's contents to a location not in the project folder, and maintain the links intact (or recreate them)? Will moving this folder fix the problem I have?

Regards,

Hylton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aditi should be safely tucked up in bed now so I'll respond.

The idea of Resource Manager is that it is somewhere that you can access for all your projects. You may also want it accessible by others who update the files, Marketing may update images for example. For that reason I guess the idea of someone saving it within a single project might not have occurred to anyone.

You can move the folder using Windows Explorer but it will break all the links and you will have to relink them. Aditi may know a back door way of fixing it and I'll have to leave her to comment on whether it will fix the problem for sure.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a longshot so only try it on a copy of your project.

Create a copy of the Resource folder, it is important you do not delete the existing folder at this stage.

With the copy of your project closed, open rhsharedresource.apj in a text editor such as Notepad. You will see the current path and can edit it there to show the path to the new Resource folder.

Trash the CPD file in the copy and then reopen the project.

I haven't tried it and I have to say I am doubtful it will work because of other data in rhsharedresource.apj. However, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work. Your original project will still be pointing to the resource within the project and untouched by this procedure.

Let us know if it works.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution provided by Peter should work. Edit the <shr_path> for the new resource path.

You can also use 'Replace Link' functionality to replace an existing link with the new one.
Do the following steps:
1. Select an already linked resource in the Manage Linked Resources dialog and click on 'Replace Link' button.
2. Select Content dialog will open.
3. Add the new resource folder as shared location if not already added as one.
4. Now you can link your resource with the newly added shared location.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Bingo! This worked like a charm!

After copying the project, modifying the path in rhsharedresource.apj and deleting the CPD file, I started up RH and opened the modified project.

This elicited the same Linked Resouce Notification message popup flagging the same 2 picture files as before.

RH9_ 2011-05-16_02.jpg

I clicked Sync resulting in the next Linked Resouce Notification message.

RH9_ 2011-05-18_02.jpg

Here I clicked Override for both files and this time this did NOT result in the RoboHelp HTML error popup.

When I opened Resource Manager to check, the two files are now flagged as being in sync.

Thank you so much for solving my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting back. I was concerned the checksum details would cause a problem. This will be quite useful as moving a project to another PC also breaks Resource Manager so now we have a fix until Adobe provide a more friendly solution.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure. I half expected that their may be other "gotchas" resulting from this fix, but so far I have not encountered any surprises.

Do you know if Adobe is actively working on this issue? Something else I think users may be wanting is a one-click method (say, in the File menu) of duplicating a project...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let's just say I have suggested some changes.

It always helps when others report bugs or make feature requests. The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum Hylton.

This is new functionality in RoboHelp 9 so we don't have much experience with it. I see you have stored your project in My Documents and often this leads to path names exceeding the 255 character limit.

If you move the project it may  break the links anyway but after fixing them all maybe then synchronising will work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Thank you.

So there is a limit of 255 characters in a file path-name? That is a Windows-imposed limit, not a limitation of RH, right?

Anyway, I checked the length of the file names including the full path, and they are all less than 130 characters, so I assume this is not the cause.

Someone by the name of Aditi Roongta has also responded to my post with a different suggestion, which I will try later. I assume you can see her response on the forum. If it works, I will of course indicate so on the forum.

Best regards,

Hylton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I was referring to and clearly that isn't the problem. Aditi certainly should be able to help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp