1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 172 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 2:29 PM by John Hawkinson Go to original post RSS
      • 120. Re: Background PDF export Help
        BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Why haven't you updated InDesign?

Bob

• 121. Re: Background PDF export Help
          jaychow99 Community Member

I am using the latest ID 7.0.0.355 and Suitcase Fusion 3 14.0.5.

• 122. Re: Background PDF export Help
            BobLevine UGM-MVPs

No you're not.

The latest update to ID is 7.0.3.535

Bob

• 123. Re: Background PDF export Help
              afsdfasg Community Member

No, the latest update to ID is ???.553

(but not public – if you want to be pedantic)

• 124. Re: Background PDF export Help

I have no access to pre-release.

AAM verifies that I have the latest public versions for all CS5 products.

• 125. Re: Background PDF export Help
                  John Hawkinson Community Member

"Rapid Releases" are not "updates," just as "the test build some developer did on his desktop" is not an "update."

Updates are fully QA-tested full releases from Adobe. It's probably not helpful to refer to RRs here though...it just adds to confusion. And given the new dot-release on the horizon, the RR may well be shelved. It has happened to RRs before.

• 126. Re: Background PDF export Help
                    BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Then you have a problem with the updater or you've given us incorrect information.

Bob

• 127. Re: Background PDF export Help

I updated InDesign to 7.0.3.535 but it still crashes on PDF export when 

using Suitcase Fusion 3 v 14.0.5 as font manager.

I copied the fonts to ~/Library/Fonts and disabled Suitcase app and plugin.

ExtensisFontManagementIDCS5.InDesignPlugin is version 2.0.10.2

Relaunched ID and exported PDF OK.

Error Report (partial):

• 128. Re: Background PDF export Help
                        sxna911

Hello All,

Are we to gather then that this problem may stem from an incompatibility issue between InDesign and certain types of font management programs? Just for grins, I exported file after file to Print PDF without the fonts loaded...and they all went without a hitch. As soon as I loaded the fonts into Suitcase Fusion 3 (Version 14.0.5) the same files exhibited the behavior discussed here (zero progress or interrupted progress). Suitcase Fusion 3 Auto Activation Plug-In for ID says it's using version 2.0.10.2.

I've asked around and people/agencies that rely on Font Book don't seem to be experiencing this. Many ID users choose to use Suitcase or something similar to avoid "tampering with system fonts." Such is the case where I work.

I do hope to see a resolution of this issue sooner than later. It's not practical to use the Book option on a long-term basis.

• 129. Re: Background PDF export Help

A representative from Extensis, the creators of Suitcase, posted here a week ago, directing people to contact Extensis support if they are having problems, and noting that it is free. So you should do that. I would be curious what they say though, sure.

• 130. Re: Background PDF export Help

The following is the verbatim text from Extensis support:

Export to PDF may cause InDesign CS5 to crash

product:   Suitcase Fusion 3

parent product:    InDesign CS5

operating system:    Mac OS X 10.6, 10.5. 10.4

article description:

Extensis has identified an issue where choosing File > Export and saving 

to Adobe PDF in InDesign CS5 may crash Indesign CS5 on certain files when 

using the Suitcase Fusion 3 auto-activation plugin. Crashes are more 

likely in large InDesign files and with files that include many linked 

images. This issue appears limited to Indesign CS5; Indesign CS4/CS3/CS2 

are unaffected.

Extensis is aware of the issue and we hope to address it in a future 

release.

solutions/workaround:

for customers using Suitcase Fusion 3

1. Open document in InDesign CS5 and allow the Suitcase Fusion 3 plugin to 

auto-activate the necessary fonts.

2. In Indesign, choose Type > Suitcase Fusion 3 > Suitcase Fusion 3 

Auto-activation Preferences.

3. Uncheck the top "Enable Suitcase Fusion 3 Auto-activation" box and 

click OK to disable the plugin.

4. Choose File > Export and save to Adobe PDF.

5. Once complete, you can re-enable the checkbox from step 3 in order to 

auto-activate your next document.

6. If saving/printing to PDF is a regular part of your workflow, the 

plugin can be left in a disabled state or removed completely with Suitcase 

Fusion 3 by choosing Suitcase Fusion 3 > Manage Plug-ins and unchecking 

the "Enabled" box for InDesign CS5.

• 131. Re: Background PDF export Help
                              sxna911 Community Member

Thank you, I'll give that a shot. I'll post results (good or otherwise) next week, if not this evening.

• 132. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                sxna911 Community Member

Unfortunately I am still experiencing problems. Will stay tuned...

• 133. Re: Background PDF export Help

I don't think staying tuned here is going to help you much -- if Extensis' instructions on how to resolve their own crash are not sufficient, you need to contact them and let them know. Posting about it here is not a reliable way to reach them.

We're certainly interested in what happens, but waiting for us to help you is a losing proposition.

• 134. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                    sxna911 Community Member

Good point. But since it's ID that's locking up, and not Suitcase, I was

hoping Adobe would take a more aggressive approach on our behalf. We, after

all, are the ones laying out the cash for programs that are supposedly ready

for release.

• 135. Re: Background PDF export Help

Suitcase is an extension that reaches its fingers inside InDesign (via the PlugIn extension mechanism) and moves some organs around and positions itself like a parasite (no offense to Extensis or other plugin developers -- that's what plugins do). You can hope for a symbiotic relationship, but when it goes awry, you can't expect the mother of the host (Adobe is InDesign's mother) to accept responsibility for the behavior of the parasite...

More seriously, this isn't Adobe's fault. Plugins have basically free reign over the behavior of the program. If a plugin makes it crash, Adobe probably can't even fix it, without the source code to the plugin, which they won't have. It's not just the job and responsibility of the plugin developer, but really they're the only ones who can do it...

• 136. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                        sxna911 Community Member

An excellent analogy, but it doesn't absolve Adobe of the responsibility to

help resolve the issue. If you purchase a new car and a gizmo buried in the

wiring doesn't allow the car to function properly, the car manufacturer goes

to bat for you. If the gizmo's manufacturer doesn't cooperate with the

car's, future models avoid using the gizmo that resulted in problems for the

end user. Adobe has far more pull with other developers than a bunch of

disgruntled customers on a forum.

That said, I don't think anyone wants or play, "who's gonna fix this or

there'll be hell to pay." We just want our software to work. Adobe and

Extensis know there's an issue, and I'm relying on them to work together and

resolve it. Meanwhile I'll try some other workarounds...and keep an eye on

this forum!

• 137. Re: Background PDF export Help

OK...but what I'm saying is, don't forget to actually ask Extensis.

Because if no one tells them that this is still a problem, despite the

workaround, they aren't going to make progress. And this is not an official

Adobe support forum. You can also contact Adobe for official support

as well.

• 138. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                            BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Shannon, your analogy, while interesting, is flawed.

If the gizmo is installed in the car by the manufacturer, they are indeed responsible. Adobe didn't add Suitcase to InDesign. This would be like blaming the car manufacturer if you bought a third party navigation system that shorted out the car's electric system. Who would you hold responsible?

Bob

• 139. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                              Harbs. MVP

Arrgh!!! The forums just ate a very long reply.

I don't have the patience to write it again.

The gist of what I wrote is that the responsibility of fixing issues falls on the third party's shoulders and as an end user, you should notify the third party developer instead of Adobe.

(I'm speaking as a third party developer myself.)

Harbs

• 140. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                Fixx

Very interesting topic. This export problem has been plaguing our company production badly, both in win & mac platforms.

So far, at has mostly occurred when there has been vector art in pages (eps and ai, placed and pasted). Seems that complicated art causes more problems, and sometimes printing one page at the time helps, which suggests this is a memory problem. Ps printing helps (and distilling frome there), but causes problems of its own. Likewise, producing online documents suffer as links etc will not be created right using workarounds. Printing from "book" helps sometimes but not often.

I really wish Adobe would solve this as it makes my job quite painful.

• 141. Re: Background PDF export Help

Fixx: Please confirm that you're not using Suitcase? Any other font managers?

Also, I'm sure Matt Laun would like you to turn off preflight and restart InDesign and report whether you still see the problem?

At the beginning of this thread is a link to Uwe Laubender's ExportPDF_in_Foreground_CS5.jsx on InDesign Secrets. Does that script not solve the problem for you? I don't think anyone has reported it not working...

I assume you are using 7.0.4? But maybe you are using 7.5.0?

• 142. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                    Fixx Community Member

Hello John,

no Suitcase here, I have FEX3 installed (mac, snow leopard). Other company machines are mostly winXP with some win7, with no font managers.

I will see prefight/restart tips soon, and that script also.

-- F

• 143. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                      Matthew Laun Adobe Employee

All,

Many of you have asked for a way to simply disable the background export method. Well, there is a way to do this. However, I need to stress that the application was not tested in this configuration, and so it's not officially supported. If you run into some issue while in this configuration, the first thing you should do is restore your application to the standard configuration, and see if the problem goes away. If the problem only happens in this workaround configuration, then we will not be able to assist you with the problem. Also, be sure to alert any Adobe representatives that you have this workaround in place should you need to contact someone about export issues. Note that this affects all background exporting, which includes PDF, IDML, and, I believe, InCopy Assignments. That said, here is the method to disable background export:

Mac OS:
                                                      1) Create an empty text file and save it with the name “
                                                      DisableAsyncExports.txt
                                                      2) Control+Click on the Adobe InDesign CS5.app file in your Applications folder and choose Show Package Contents
                                                      3) Move the text file from step 1 into Contents/MacOS/ so the full path to the file is now:
                                                          /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Adobe InDesign CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt

Windows
                                                      1) Create an empty text file and save it with the name “
                                                      DisableAsyncExports.txt
                                                      2) Move the text file from step 1 into the application folder, for example: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5\DisableAsyncExports.txt

This will avoid the background export, which will avoid some known defects which we, and third parties, are working to resolve in future releases of our products.

Sincerely,

Matthew

• 144. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                        BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Does this work with CS5.5 as well?

Bob

• 145. Re: Background PDF export Help

Yes, this same method can be applied to InDesign CS5.5. Note that this disables any background exports. I know that includes PDF and IDML, but might also include InCopy Assignments, maybe some others.

Also, I found that restarting InDesign is not necessary, so I'll remove that from the instructions.

Matthew

• 146. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                            macinbytes Community Member

Is there a place to vote for Adobe Employee of the Year?

• 147. Re: Background PDF export Help

@macinbytes,

The funny thing is, when customer are unhappy, they somehow find ways to get in touch with Senior VPs in our company, even our CEO! Even calling our receptionist and complaining will sometimes get people escalated to me to resolve their technnical issues. Maybe if you call the receptionist and are very insistent that you speak to someone at the highest levels, you could get a vote in for me.  :-)

Honestly, in my job, I do a LOT of different work, but it all boils down to helping people, which gives me great satisfaction, so your comment here is enough. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Matthew

• 148. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] UGM-MVPs

This is great info!

Thank you Matthew!

I created a script which will integrate in InDesign menu,

right under Export option and allow you to enable/disable background export.

Script will simply create or delete DisableAsyncExports.txt from InDesign app folder.

Direct download (ZIP): http://bit.ly/lqfxKa

Copy controlBackgroundExport.jsx to InDesign app folder /Scripts/startup scripts/

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

http://inditip.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/tomaxxi/

• 149. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                  [Jongware] MVP

This is very similar to the "Don't like ALL CAPS in panels?" solution ... Is there a quiet rebel somewhere in the InDesign programming team? If so, can I give my vote to him instead?

• 150. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                    Eugene Tyson MVP

Like an InDesign Ninja?

• 151. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                      [Jongware] MVP

Nah, more like the original Tron.

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Tron/tron_movie_image__3_.jpg

(If you can recall who he was fighting for ...)

• 152. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                        Fixx Community Member

I created a script which will integrate in InDesign menu,

right under Export option and allow you to enable/disable background export.

Surprised, but I have to report that after InDy restart, this script enabled, export succeeded. I will test this some more, and in other machines, to see if the cure persists.

Is the folder to place this script same /Scripts/startup scripts/ in win platform (I assume this should work in both platforms)?

And to former query: no Suitcase, I use FEX. I am quite convinced problem is connected to handling of placed graphics (vector AND pixel) as reimporting often corrects the bug (for a while).

• 153. Re: Background PDF export Help

Great! Glad it's working fine.

Once script is installed, you don't have to restart InDesign

when enabling/disabling background export.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

• 154. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                            BobLevine UGM-MVPs

I can't seem to get it to work here on Win 7 64 bit. The menu item is there but it doesn't disable the background export.

Bob

• 155. Re: Background PDF export Help

Hey Bob,

Hmm... Strange... I'm also using Win 7 64-bit

and it's working fine with CS5 and CS5.5...

Maybe it's because Windows UAC...

--

Marijan

• 156. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                                BobLevine UGM-MVPs

A bit more testing. I created the text file manually and the menu item changed to enable background export, but again, clicking it does nothing. Strange.

Bob

• 157. Re: Background PDF export Help

Ok, when it says "Enable Background Export" then do regular export!

Clicking menu item just create/delete text file from InDesign app folder

--

Marijan

• 158. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                                    BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Just tried it on my Win 7 32 bit machine and it doesn't work there either. I wonder if something is conflicting with it.

When will you be getting into DC? I'll be there Sunday afternoon.

Bob

• 159. Re: Background PDF export Help
                                                                                      BobLevine UGM-MVPs

That's the thing...it doesn't toggle the command on or off and it doesn't write the text file to the folder.

I tried putting the text file there myself and the menu item changes to enable background export. But then clicking it doesn't kill that text file and it doesn't change the menu command.

This on two different machines.

I think I'll check my test machine with CS5.5 and see if that works.

Bob