• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dropdown content gets included in printed output even if hotspot is excluded by build expression RH8

Explorer ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm, this issue was resolved in 8.0.1.  I have 8.0.2.208 and experiencing the same issue.  What's interesting is that not all the text in the dropdown is printing; only from a certain point to the end.  If I select only the text that's printing and apply the conditional tag, part of it still prints.  Very frustrating.  I've updated DHTML effects in topics but that didn't resolved the issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you apply the patches in order? Adobe updates are sequential, not cumulative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the style from which it stops printing have a negative margin?

Have you tried simply recreating the dropdown?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no negative margins.

The dropdown text contains a lot of content so I didn't try recreating it entirely.  The text starts with an ordered list (1.), followed by a table, unordered list, resumes ordered list (2.and 3.), table, and unordered list.  That text doesn't print but when it resumes the ordered list (4.), everything from that point on prints.  Below is part of the html text and everything leading up to </ol> <ol start="4"> doesn't print.  Everything after that does.

</table>
  <ul type="square">
   <li class="p"><p>To edit billing or rendering provider information,
    click <a href="javascript:BSSCPopup('../StarkeyProHearUIUI_SystemConfig/frmCompanyEdit.htm');"
       id="a18" onmouseover="if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) &gt;= 4 && typeof(BSPSPopupOnMouseOver) == 'function') BSPSPopupOnMouseOver(event)"
       onclick="javascript:BSSCPopup('../StarkeyProHearUIUI_SystemConfig/frmCompanyEdit.htm');;return false">company</a>,
    <a href="../StarkeyProHearUIUI_SystemConfig/frmOfficeAddEdit.htm"
     target="_blank">office</a>, or <a href="../StarkeyProHearUIUI_SystemConfig/frmEmployeeAddEdit.htm"
              target="_blank">employee</a>.</p></li>
  </ul></li>
</ol>
<ol start="4">
  <li class="Number"><p class="Number">Click <span style="color: #fa8f5a;
               font-weight: bold;">Select</span>.</p>
  <table cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#FFE8C9">

If I just enter a basic list, etc. during a recreation, it works fine but I have so many different styles involved that it would take a while to recreate it in it's entirety.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been copying content from an output file and pastingit into source?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, some of that code does look like Output code rather than Source code.

In addition, if you are applying conditional tags to the content within the drop-down (as opposed to the hyperlink text that you click to activate the drop-down) then you could try applying the code to the tables separately. There is a bug in RH6 which may have been fixed in RH8, but I'm not sure.

Remove the conditional tags from all the tables in your drop-down.

Click in the first cell of a table and drag to highlight all the cells.

Apply the conditional tag.

Repeat for all tables in the drop-down.

If this solves the problem of missing content, then you'll need to make sure you don't apply conditional tags to text and tables at the same time. Separately select the tables instead. Also submit a bug report to Adobe.

HTH,

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer Peter's question, I created this topic in 2008 so it's been through several RH upgrades.  I don't recall ever copying content from an output file to source.  I still have RH7 and the project installed so I launched both, created printed documentation for just the one topic and works just fine.

To answer Amebr's question, only the hotspot contains the conditional tag.  No text within the dropdown contains any conditional tags.  I don't understand why this worked in RH7 and not in RH8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether you recall copying from an output file or not,  maybe you didn't realise you were doing it, that content is from an  output file and likely the cause of the problem.

From RoboHelp 8 XHTML has been used in RoboHelp so things that worked in HTML may no longer work with XHTML. You could try the options in Tools > Options of generating RoboHelp edited content as HTML for issues with online help but I doubt that has any effect on printed documentation. Worth the effort of a try I guess but remember to change it back afterwards, it is an all project setting.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to the checkbox "Convert RoboHelp edited topics to HTML" under Tools>Options, it was already checked so it didn't make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't expect it to but I do think the code is the problem. I cannot say why it affects 8 and not 7.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp