• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow to open second PDF file with Reader X

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having troubles since I downloaded Adobe Reader 10.0.1. The problem is when I have a PDF file already open, it takes forever to open another PDF file. Also, when I clic on an hyperlink to a PDF file in an excel sheet, it takes forever also.

Please help me as this is anoying!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I also have the same problem (my computer has Windows XP sp3 and Adobe Reader X).
I can not see the explanation for this and I can´t fix it.
But... if we drag the icon of 2º file (and 3º and etc.) to the program window it opens quickly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here: Win7 x64, Intel i7-860@3.2 Ghz, 8Go RAM!

A real pain in the b..t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

HP Computer, XP SP3, with ATi HD 2400 card.

Recently updated Acrobat and ATI drivers, not sure if related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was having a similar problem.  Taking 15-30 seconds for adobe reader 9.4.4 to launch after clicking on a pdf file attachment in emails or opening PDF files from web sites.  Seem to start right after adobe did an automatic upgrade.  However, the problem seems to have been resolved when I opened adobe first without a document, clicked on "Help", then "Repair Adober Reader Installation".  Maybe this will work for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on "Help", then "Repair Adober Reader Installation" worked for me too.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but there is nothing to repair, this is a fresh install on version 10.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, mine was a fresh install as well, and I did the repair, it repaired and it works fine now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repair did not work.

Disabling protected mode as someone said before did work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've discovered that it doesn't work. It worked only until I restarted the computer the

next day and then it caused other errors. I'll try disabling the protected mode tomorrow when

I'm back at work. Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for verifying disabling "protect mode" worked for you.  I"m not sure how to contact Adobe to let them know about this issue.  I'm aware they may have a security patch update on June 14th, 2011.  But it does not say if it addresses this issue or not.

I'm packaging this software for our enterprise environment and I had to find the key because this might be an option we have to turn back on later. The key is located in \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Privileged

Name of the key is"bProtectedMode"

1= Enabled

0= Disabled

HTH,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We hare having the same issues here at work and my co-worker discovered the problem and solution.  He discovered that if you "Uncheck Enable Protected Mode", this will speed things up again, but not sure if you want to turn off a security feature.

Enable_Protect_Mode.png

If you open Adobe Reader X first and open files through the application, there are no issues.  This appears to only happen  if you click on the PDF file, then click on the second PDF file to open it.  It seems to hang for about 30 seconds or so.

Not sure if it's really a solution though, but just go into the Adobe Options and "UNCHECK" Enable Protect Mode" and you'll notice it will launch the second PDF faster.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off your virus and malware protection and try again. See if it speeds up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same issue with Adobe Reader 10.1.0.534 (the full version number that appears in the About box) on Windows XP Professional SP3.  I describe the issue as follows:

* After one PDF file is opened, the second, third, fourth (and so on) files are slow to open, maybe 5 to 10 seconds per file, when opening by double-clicking on each file in a Windows Explorer folder.

* The problem (with files opening slowly) does NOT occur when dragging the files from the Windows Explorer folder to the Adobe Reader icon.  The problem does NOT occur when opening files from the Adobe Reader "File: Open ..." dialog.

* The problem does NOT occur for other application programs, such as Microsoft Office, IrfanView.

* The problem is associated with "Enable Protected Mode at startup" setting in File: Preferences: General.  Turning off "Enable Protected Mode at startup", and then re-starting Adobe Reader, is a solution or at least work-around (files open quickly, but on the other hand a security setting is disabled).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since disabling the protected mode I haven't had any issues anymore. I wonder what the

security setting does and how important it is to have this enabled? Let's hope the problem

will be fixed with next updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2011 Sep 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling protected mode at startup worked for me, too - on Windows 7 Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows XP SP3 here, the very same version of Reader X (10.1.0.534) fresh install and protected mode DISABLED but the problem still exists.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. open a folder with a number of PDF files inside

2. double click on one of them: it opens in one second

3. double click on another one: it opens after 10/15 seconds

I think the problem is a sort of pre-rendering that Reader does on the selected PDF when you open them from File Explorer.

This is what's happening:

1. open task manager, Process pane.

2. open the folder with a number of PDF files inside

3. double click on one of them: it opens in one second and an AcroRd32.exe process starts. Leave the document open.

4. SELECT (not double click) another file: the task manager shows TWO additional AcroRd32.exe starting

5. when they close, double click the selected file and it opens instantly

6. SELECT another file: again, two additional AcroRd32.exe processes start. If you immediately double click the same file, it takes 10-15 seconds to open and this happens exactly when the two additional AcroRd32.exe processes stop.

7. double click another file: again, two additional processes start, the file opens exactly when the two processes close.

If you have the same files on your desktop, not in a folder, the files open instantly also ten together at the same time.

Any solution?

Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Explorer in Windows XP uses the "Common Tasks" view for folders by default. The common tasks view displays commonly used options, links to other folder such as the desktop and details about the currently selected file in the left pane of a folder's window.I figured out that the "Common Tasks" view is causing the delay in opening PDF files with Reader X from the Windows Explorer. The workaround is to set the Classic view in Windows Explorer, then you do not have the delay anymore.

While testing on several XP-machines the following setting must also be unchecked:

Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean about changing the folder view to classic. That works

like a charm for me. Any idea why this is happening? Sounds like a bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the camp where disabling "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" did not work alone.

First, I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled a fresh version..ended up being 10.1.0.

Then I disabled "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" but it did not have any effect.

Leaving "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" disabled, I went on.

I opened Reader by itself without a document, went to HELP, and "Repair Adobe Reader Installation."

Mid process, I had to close adobe reader leaving the repair process to continue.

That worked.

My second PDF opens normally now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines