• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp slow to open topics and allow editing

Explorer ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem when I was using RoboHelp 7 and then it went away after I upgraded to RoboHelp 9. Now, all of a suddent, it is doing it again in RoboHelp 9. It seems specific to my larger projects. I was able to use a smaller project without this problem. However, it started almost instantly yesterday while working in my project so I don't think it is just the project size. It is pretty annoying so if anyone can offer help, I would really appreciate it.

When I open a topic to try to edit it, the topic displays almost immediately but it freezes for about 20 seconds and I can't do anything during that time. It happens with every single topic, even the very small ones. I installed the 9.0.1 service patch but it didn't help. I also tried renaming the CPD file after I saw a tip on one of these forums. That didn't help either.

Is anyone else seeing this or do you have some recommendations?

Thanks,

Joy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joy

Where exactly is your project while you are making edits?

If you say you have it on the network, that's likely the reason for the slowness. If that's the case, you need to copy the project to your local C drive and only make edits from that location.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the quick response. My project is on my C drive.

Thanks,

Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joy,

Please verify that you dont have any missing resources local or network and also resolve any broken links in the project,

It might resolve this issue.

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ashish,

I do not have any broken links in my project (nothing shows up under Broken Links in Project Manager). How do I know if I have any missing resources? I am not using resource manager and everything is stored in my project directory or a subdirectory. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks,

Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joy,

How many topics do you have in your project and how were topics created (are they linked or imported) are you having numerous images/multimedia in your topics?

and how many topics have you opened at a time in RoboHelp at a time (means do you see the problem on opening a one topics when no other topics in previously opened). Can you share the project?

Regards

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashish,

I have 953 topics in my project and many of them do contain several images. I have created the topics within RoboHelp (RoboHelp 9 and previous versions). The weird thing is that it was working fine (topics loading fast, project saving fast, etc.) and then all of a sudden I noticed the slow response times. It almost makes me think that something became corrupt. I could probably share my project with you but I would need to check it out with my company first.

Thanks,

Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with RoboHelp 8. But, when I come across this problem, this is the first thing that I try and it almost always speeds everything up:

Open the .cpd file in Microsoft Office Access. The .cpd is an access database, so you can condense it.

1. Right-click on the cpd and open it with Access.
  2. Click the Window Office button.
  3. Manage > Compact and Repair Database.
  4. Close the cpd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Microsoft Access removes unused data but it does not correct erroneous data. Deleting the CPD does both.

In older versions of RoboHelp the Microsoft Access route avoided the loss of some data so it had an advantage for those who have Microsoft Access installed.

RoboHelp 7 changed things and now it is quicker and arguably better to just trash the old CPD. Rename it if you have doubts.

Both  RoboHelp 8 and 9 have an option to delete the CPD before opening any  project and I haven't seen anyone report problems using that or manually  deleting the CPD.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I trash the CPD either using the option in RoboHelp 8 or manually, most of my TOC links break.

So, this was another method that I tried and it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying it is not a valid method, simply that it should not be necessary. Until now I don't think I have seen anyone post such a problem.

Can I suggest you try the same with the sample projects? Assuming the same does not happen, post a question in a new thread.

Also if you have time, try creating a new small TOC in a copy of your project and see if that survives deleting the CPD.

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information about the CPD file. I actually tried deleting it a couple of times and it did not solve

my problem. Basically, I open a topic file to edit it. The topic appears in Design view immediately with the cursor at the beginning of the topic but then it pauses for about 16 seconds during which time I can't do anything in RoboHelp. It is annoying because it happens with every single topic I open so it really slows me down.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Resource Manager and does it have a large number of images or other files in it?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

If you are getting missing TOC links on cpd deletion that implies there is something wrong with the project itself and need to be corrected, there can be multiple reasons for it like the topic or images/Multimedia files have been moved/renamed or missing and in any such scenario if any of the resources are missing from the project it makes the RH project slow.

what I would suggest is that all the resources of any RH project like topics and CSS can be imported into another project easily so you can give it a try to create a new project and import them, but before that what seems to me is that you have multiple missing topics or images/Multimedia files so restore them and your project might start behaving properly by itself and for a quicker solution you can share me your project @ ashishchandra.gupta@gmail.com

Hope this helps

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not using resource manager. I do not think I have missing files or images. Also, when I delete the CPD I do not have missing links in my TOC. Nothing really seems to happen. It rebuilds the CPD but my problem is not fixed.

Thanks,

Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see what O/S and amount of memory you're running mentioned in any of your posts. Resource limitations may be playing a part in this issue. Also, do you have any source control installed? That may also be responsible for the slow downs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joy

I think Ashish used your name for a point raised by the other poster in this thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Joy,

The missing links in TOC was not directed to you sorry for the confusion, anyway's If your project is not source controlled and you are not even working over network, then for sure something is missing (wrong) in your project itself which is not visible though, but slow response is evidence of this.

One more question - Did you ever tried a multi-file find and Replace by any chance this might have caused it , or you have linked word/FM file in your project?

The fastest solution would be to share the project with me @ ashishchandra.gupta@gmail.com and I will try to figure out what's wrong and will share the updated project with you ASAP,as there are so many files in a single RH project each one of them have to be looked at to find where is the problem, it is the fastest way to figure out the issue, tried and tested with many users like you.

Regards

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashish,

I did email you my project. Did you receive it? Have you learned anything.

Thanks,

Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joy ,

Sorry but I did not got the project on the mail shared with you can you please try yousendit.com to share the same

Regards

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joy,

I had the same problem using Robohelp 7. It used to worj really fast but it slowed tremendously this past 2 months. It was very hard to work on it. I went to Adobe web site and found the answer. Here is the link: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403361.html

Issue

The performance of Adobe RoboHelp HTML 7 is slow.

Reason

This issue can occur if you have many fonts are within the font set file for the project (rhfontset).

Solution

Complete one of the following solutions:

Solution 1: Update the iWYSIWYG.dll file on your system.
  1. Download iWYSIWYG.dll to your computer.
  2. Replace this .dll file in your RoboHelp 7 installation location on your computer:
    • If you did not install RoboHelp to the default location, then replace the DLL in <RoboHelp Install Directory>\RoboHTML
    • If you installed the application to the default location, then replace the DLL file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML

This solution did solve the problem on my computer. I hope it works for you too.

Cheers,

Fei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fei,

Thanks for the information. I tried deleting most of my font sets (only 12 left) but I still see the delay I hesitate to download the DLL since I am on RoboHelp 9. Also, I am seeing this delay in HTML view also. So I think my problem is something different. With the help of Ashish, I was able to find out that I don't experience the delay when in Safe Mode so my problem is likely something outside of RoboHelp impacting RoboHelp performance. I haven't been able to find it though. Thanks again for the information though. It would be great to have this problem solved.

Thanks,

Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Joy

Just curious here. Was it only Safe mode? Or was it Safe mode with networking enabled? My thought is that if networking wasn't enabled and things improved, something is going on with the network and RoboHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Joy,

I searched through the Adobe support about Robohelp 9 being slow but there is no resolution posted yet. Perhaps the problem is the same as the version 7 since it was working for you when you first installed it. Indeed, it will not be safe to use the .dll for Robohelp 7 on version 9, it may add more problem. It will be best to contact Adobe and get the original .dll (with default setting) file for Robohelp 9. It might help.

Good luck. I will search online when I am free and will let you know if I find some possible solution for you.

Cheers,

Fei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp