• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I launch a CHM file with a parameter?

New Here ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out a way to change the value of a Variable when I launch

the CHM file from my application. Basically, I have a setting in my software that needs to carry over into the CHM. In some cases, the document I work with will be called one thing, say "bob", and in some cases it will be called "jim". That way in any topic I write, I can say something like:

Click Save to save the changes to your <variable name>.

Instead of

Click Save to save the changes to your Bob or Jim.

Make sense? Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if the concept works with CHMs in RH9, but they've got a new type of Context Help that you see demonstrated with the RH9 Community Help in the TC suite - you can select different help sets (FM, RH, etc.) and get separate ToC, indexes, contents, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Jeff is referring to is Dynamic User Centric Content, DUCC. Within on output you have a dropdown and the user selects the content according to what they select so it could be all the US content or all the UK content. It is not an option in CHMs but I don't think it is what you want.

Using variables you could have one CHM that displays Bob and one that displays Jim but you cannot open one CHM with a parameter that sets Bob or Jim at that point. Can you not create the two and have the developers find a way of launching the right CHM?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter - I couldn't remember the name & didn't have RH open to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. That's too bad. Seems like a feature that would help a lot of people. I'd rather not have three CHM files if I can avoid it. Seems like a drastic step just to change one word.

Anyone else have a different suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your case it might be one variable that needs to change but for other users there could be many. The main problem I see facing Adobe in meeting your need is that CHMs have to be compiled by the Microsoft Help Compiler and Microsoft last updated that in 2004. It doesn't seem to be high on their list of priorities.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp