• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

opening a RH7 project in RH9 crashes RH9

New Here ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to upgrade to RH9 because RH7 was not compatible with Windows 7. I have had a pretty hard time upgrading a RH7 project to RH9, but followed the instructions to open the HHP file instead of the XPJ and saying No when asked to use the XPJ file instead. This worked a charm with one project.

Now I am trying to open a different project the same way and RH9 crashes. No error message just my spinning cursor and when I click on the RH icon in my taskbar I get the windows message saying RH has stopped working.

I tried deleting (by renaming) the CPD file and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's not even launching RH now? Maybe try running it as an administrator & see if that does anything. I presume you've rebooted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I launch RH. I click Open, browse to my project's  HHP file, I get a message asking if I would like to load the XPJ instead, I say No, it looks like it starts loading but then the RH GUI goes opaque, my cursor spins and I get the windows message that RH has stopped working. I click Close and RH goes away.

Project is local, on my C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I wasn't clear as to what was actually happening. Is it a really large project (lots of topics, graphics, tables, etc.)? Have you got enough RAM to load it up? Which flavour of Win7 - 32 or 64 bit?

What was happening if you just tried to open the xpj and let RH9 convert the project? You have a backup so you can play around, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project is ~500 files and 23MB on disk

My machine is Win7 x64 quad core with 4GB of RAM and over 134 GB of free hard drive space.

I have a backup - project is in SVN subversion source control

If I load the XPJ I get the same crash behavior.

Just before the crash, at the bottom of RH screen it says:

loading topics...

Sorting Keywords...

Ready --> then CRASH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sometimes it's helpful to perform a sanity check.

Try opening one of the supplied sample projects. You get there by clicking File > Open and clicking the Samples folder in the My Places area on the left side.

If one of the samples opens without issue you know it's not RoboHelp at fault and is something with your project. But if one of the samples fails to open, you might need to reinstall RoboHelp or do some troubleshooting to figure out why RoboHelp is failing.

Assuming a sample opens, I might then suggest you create a new blank project, then begin importing content from the errant project. You should find that it stumbles at some point and that can lead you to one or more topics that may be at fault.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samples open fine.

I will rebuild as you suggest. It is a shame that I must do this as it is a waste of time and quite disappointing that RoboHelp is not backwards compatible. I created this project from scratch using RH7, therefore it should open in RH9. I can understand RH9 project not opening in RH7, but going from 7 to 9 should work.

Thank you all for your quick replies and willingness to help. Have a great weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Indeed it *SHOULD* work to just open the project. Unfortunately the odds are that you have one little topic somewhere with a hiccup inside that is clogging the process. The troublesome bit is figuring out WHICH of the hundreds of topics it may be.

Cheers and best of luck to you... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing bothering me here. The samples open fine but they are not source controlled. Every project that is source controlled has been difficult but one is impossible. Isn't that saying there is an issue with source control generally and that it is worse with one project.

Is it possible to get a copy of the project completely out of source control without using RoboHelp and at a point where RoboHelp 9 had not touched it? Sorry if it is a dumb question but what I am thinking is that if that is possible, then perhaps I could open it in 7 to prove it still opens OK in that version, then upgrade it to 9 to see if it breaks here.

If that is possible, see the contact page on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a dumb question at all, Peter

Here are methods to remove the project from source control:

1. Open ("Get") the entire project from source control to the author's local hard drive as usual. Make sure there are not "checked out" files and that everything is included.
  2. Click File > Version Control > Remove from Version Control
  3. As a failsafe, you could delete/edit the various Version Control-related files to manually disconnect the project from source control. A method I have used many times successfully is described by Mark Whisler (TheMarcus7) in this thread:
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/2768916
  4. Proceed to Message #17 in that thread for an easy-to-follow guide.

I believe Rick has a somewhat parallel description on his site:

http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/MonthlyScry/102004.htm

Hope this helps.

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Evergreen, Colorado
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter
I was able to export the project from Tortoise SVN with all the source control files removed.  I tried to open the HHP file in RH9 and I get the same crash behavior as previously reported. I no longer have RH7 installed to see if it will open there, but RH9 hasn't touched this version. I have uploaded the project as per the instructions on your site. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for your help!

Tara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tara's problem was fixed thanks to one of Adobe's engineers.

Two folders were missing so they were copied a RH7 project (old or fresh one) into the project root folder

• RHFrameStyleMappings.apj
  • RHFrameDocs.apj

Then the index file (.hhk) was edited in notepad.

There was a text string <param name="Name" value="tr&gt;&lt;td">

By replacing the value of the index item to something else such as <param name="Name" value="test"> and saving, it was possible to upgrade the project to either RH8 or RH9.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only other suggestions (do Rick's first) would be to make sure that all the required files are checked out of source control and that their attributes haven't been messed up (like read only, etc.)

The other thing to suggest would be get more RAM - your 64bit O/S can address a lot more than just the old 4 GB limit ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

When you attempt to open the project with RoboHelp, where exactly is the project? Is it on your local C drive somewhere or is it by chance on a network drive?

If you say it's on a network drive, try copying it to a folder on your C drive and try again. Generally I recommend C:\Projects as the main folder with a sub folder for each of your RoboHelp projects.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp