Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy folder and topics possible ?

New Here ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I speak french, so I'm sorry if my english is bad, or if I don't use the right words because my RoboHelp 9 is in french.

I would like to copy a file and all the topics inside this file. Is it possible ?

Topics inside folder.jpgFolder.jpg

Also, I would like to know if I can duplicate a topic in multiple topics ? I know I can duplicate a topic, but I want more than one copy.

Copy of topic.jpg

Thank you for your help

Mash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to do this would be to create a new folder inside RoboHelp and then duplicate each topic in turn. If this is too slow for you, try making copies of the topic files in Windows Explorer and importing them into the project.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Mash

I'm unclear on a few things.

You said you want to: "copy a file and all the topics inside this file."

While I'm sure you meant to say folder and all topics inside the folder, what I'm unclear on is whether you want to copy that folder to another folder within the same project or to a totally different project.

The answer is that it's possible to do both. However, because of the way RoboHelp operates, I'd recommend first creating the foder inside the project where you want it. Then you could copy the topics using Windows Explorer and import them into the folder inside RoboHelp so RoboHelp is aware of them.

You also said: "Also, I would like to know if I can duplicate a topic in multiple topics ?"

Again, I'm sure you meant to say multiple folders instead of multiple topics.

And yes, the same applies. However, you need to consider maintenance moving forward. For example, if you duplicate a topic many times, what happens when the content changes? You now have to edit multiple topics to keep them in sync.

Personally, I'd be investigating either Inline Frames (IFRAMEs) or Snippets.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to copy a folder and the topics inside because all the topics are patterns I want to reuse.

I meant to say folder and all topics inside the folder. You are right.

I tryed to create a folder first, open this folder with Windows Explorer and then, paste the topics in this folder. When I'm in Windows Explorer, I see my topics, but when I'm in RoboHelp, my folder is empty. So I, tryed to import my topics but again, I have to import them one buy one.

Did I do something wrong ?

Do you have another method to reuse topics has patterns ?

Thank you

Mash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use Master Pages as a way of creating templates, but copying and then recycling a topic works too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mash

Once inside RoboHelp you are able to import the topics. But you don't have to settle for one at a time. Basically you click File > Import and ensure you are looking at HTML files. You may then select multiple files using the dialog. You might click one, then press Ctrl+A to select all of them. This may work and it may choke RoboHelp depending on how many there are. You will have to try to see. If it chokes RoboHelp, you will have to pare down the selection by just using Ctrl+Click to pick and choose several at a time.

One way to "re-use" topics with certain structures is by creating a Master Page. You then create new topics based on the Master Page. You might find my learn it yourself guide for RoboHelp to be helpful here as it will guide you on how to create and use a Master Page (as well as many other aspects of RoboHelp).

Click here to view the list

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops... looks like Jeff has a better idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Rick, I just have brief ideas - yours are always more fleshed out than mine <grin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, I was just funnin ya a bit about recommending the same thing.

Happy Friday! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all.

I will look for Master Pages.

And for the copy of multiple topics, it works well with Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp