• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

server side include syntax

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2006 Aug 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be simple but I cannot figure it out. I use Dreamweaver to make multi-line global substitutions when maintaining a large online troubleshooting guide because RoboHelp cannot do this very well. And I need to use a separate file to allow or deny access to menus located within this file based on what user type accesses the help system.

What is required syntax to use a simple server side include statement in the true code? I've tried the usual syntax of <!-- #include file="path/filename" --> (whose syntax works fine in Dreamweaver) but when RoboHelp opens the file, all heck breaks loose. Here the <h1> tag just before it loses its closing tag and as a result the included file does not work.

So in Dreamweaver the two lines read:
<h1>Title</h1>
<!-- #include file="path/filename" -->

And when opening this file in Robohelp the two lines are massaged to be:
<h1>Title<!-- #include file="path/filename" -->

What happened? Is this a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here for response. Duplicate post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh!

MAN I hate when folks cross post!

SpaGeek, please do us all a favor and read the forum Posting Guidelines. Why, I've even provided a way cool and super handy link to click on. click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2006 Aug 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate is a strong word to use and I don't believe that you really mean it. If you do, so us all a favor and get a *real* life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, jeez, another bomb-thrower!

Look, pal, notice that you are listed at 5 posts in your whole five months on this forum, whereas Rick has logged 2901 posts in 17 months.

Hmmm... Whose life is real, here?

This forum's members are all RH users who are looking for help or to help, in addition to their regular jobs. Period. Cross posting and piggy-backing on threads only cause confusion to reign, particularly for those forum members who monitor several forum modules through email.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry for not following the rules. I admit I was wrong and I should not have cross posted.

Hate is a personal attack. I am reacting to this word, not the repremand. I am big enough to take the repremenad but are we not in the business of communicating? Use the right word. I believe that "irritated" may have been the better description of the feeling. Hate is not.

I don't roll over to the establishement and I demand respect. I am a 5-poster and he is a 2901. So what? Does that mean I don't deserve respect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
LOL, geez SpaGeek, I'm not sure how you managed to infer that my use of "hate" here constituted a personal attack. It certainly wasn't. I said: "MAN I hate when folks cross post!". Do I hate you personally? I have no clue, as I've never met you. However, had that been the case, it would have seemed odd to have tried to help in the other thread you posted.

My intent with the statement stands as is and I feel no public apolgy to you is necessary. I actually *do* hate (now read this next part carefully, as you seemed to totally space it off when you saw it the first time) when folks cross post. I hate it for the reasons cited both here in this thread and in the posting guidelines.

Additionally, before you take issue with the other bit where I asked you to do us a favor and read the guidelines, it is something I advise almost anyone on a regular basis that jumps in with a few cross posts. It only makes sense. It's not aimed at anyone in particular and is not meant to be demeaning in any way. It's just like reading the guidebooks before driving. The intent is to assist you in having the best forum experience by learning some unwritten or obscure rules and outlining what is and is not tolerated.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp