• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 fixing broken links

Explorer ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH8, I'm trying to fix broken links. I find the topics, then they move from the Broken Links folder to the correct folder but then the topic still looks like it has a broken link! Can anyone advise? here's a pic

BrokenLinks3.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you saved your project? They still appear as broken until you do.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have saved it, well at least I have clicked the Save All button. This

is the project I was having a lot of problems with until this morning when I

was able to recover it from a backup file. All the files seem to be there

and I'm trying to fix 20-odd broken links, which is where I'm having the

problems now. The project takes about 5 minutes to open and a couple times I

got an error from Windows before it shut down. Then Windows asks if I want

to see an Error report, to which I reply No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be rebooting my machine if you're getting a Windows error thrown up. Try saying yes to the error submission & see what may come back from Microsoft about the cause of your error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right click on the broken link, click the Explore menu item. This opens a Windows Explorer window at the location where the files should be. Check that they are there with the exact same file name as is in the topic properties.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, okay I did this. And what if the file points to the fpj file? I

attach what mine looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot attach files. Use the camera icon and insert the image in your post.

Difficult without the image but are you saying you have a link to an FPJ file? Why?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a repeat of what I sent plus the image that was missing:

And what if the file points to the fpj file? I attach what mine looks like.

FPJ.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't make out your screen shots - too poor a resolution. Try doing a few closer up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Screen shots are fine. You just need to know how to view them.

What I see is an empty folder, hence only seeing the FPJ file. There is a FREE! FPJ included with each folder in RoboHelp. The folder is devoid of topics, which totally explains the broken links. The topics aren't there!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - I see what you mean Rick - if I viewed it via the web interface, even the expanding of the image wasn't making it clear. If I looked at the attached image file directly via my e-mail, then the image is sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Jeff and Peter,

Yes the fpj file is empty but there is another file named Ranger_Help directly above it. The fpj file is named Ranger_Help_. Is this causing a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Unfortunately you are totally misunderstanding things. Please allow me to try and explain better.

ANY folder in your project is going to have an FPJ file inside it. This is a "behind the scenes" file that RoboHelp uses to keep track of the files that are part of the project.

In the image you provided, there are two folders in the project location with similar names:

Ranger_Help

Ranger_Help_

Only the Ranger_Help_ appears to actually be part of the project because the other folder Ranger_Help isn't appearing in the image capture showing the project inside RoboHelp. So unless something screwy happened, you should not find an FPJ file inside that folder. Then again, you may find one. It all depends on what happened.

Personally, I'd look inside the Ranger_Help folder and see if the files representing the broken links are inside. They may well be. And if so, I'd copy them to the Ranger_Help_ folder and see if that resolves things.

This project is beginning to resemble a bowl of spaghetti!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Rick. I wondered what I should do becau

se you are right, the files I want are in the second folder. However, a bigger probl

em (maybe not but it's very annoying) is that it takes about 7 minutes to open the project now.

If I open the project again and resolve these last remaining broken links, with the project go back to opening in reasonable time? or is that another issue? I don't have another project of the same size (300 topics) to compare it to right now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm sure the missing files *MIGHT* impact opening time, but I'm skeptical.

Anyhoo, after you get things back in order and the project seems intact, I'd try clobbering the CPD and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Rick. And when I'm ready to clobber the cpd, do I do that INSIDE Robohelp or where? I recently found out that I should never do anything with files outside of RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD is flexible. You can tell RoboHelp to bonk it if you want or you can close the project and bonk it yourself. When the project is re-opened, RoboHelp will see that it's gone missing and bake you up a fresh one on the spot.

If you want to tell RoboHelp to do it, click Tools > Options> General and enable the option as shown below:

tmp1.PNG

Otherwise, just hunt it down and clobber it using Windows Explorer. It's one of the very few times you will ever be advised to do something with files outside of the RoboHelp application.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one is safe to kill outside RH - but it's easier to just set your RH to reset it each time you open a project up. It's in Tools > Options > General Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the heads up about the fpj files in RH.

But why the extra folder with just the fpj file in it? I wouldn't think Rh could create folders as well as files. So my previous author must have created two folders with the same name...hmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

My guess is that at some point RoboHelp had the other folder in the project along with the topics. Something went kapow and caused RoboHelp to lose track of the folder. For example, it's a common situation where folks are unaware of the fact RoboHelp has issues on a network. They begin working and suddenly RoboHelp chokes and pukes. When this happens, it sometimes loses track of a folder. The person may have known the folder was there and attempted to re-create it. Because it existed already, RoboHelp gagged again and issued a dialog stating that it was unable to create the folder. So a variation of folder name was used by the author.

When a folder is created by RoboHelp, RoboHelp adds the FPJ so it can track the files inside the folder.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RH Project is fixed!!! Thanks to all of you who contributed your Robohelp wisdom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you

click on the image to make it larger?? If not, can you advise me how to make it larger

inpaint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to change anything.

Watch this video to see how to view the images more clearly.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - I didn't know that you could right-click to isolate the images via the web interface. Thanks Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp