• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked images in my Word document don't show up in RoboHelp

New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 8 and Microsoft Word 2003 on Windows XP. I create a new WebHelp project. I added all the .png image files from my Microsoft Word directory to Baggage Files. I then used the Link>>Word Document function to add my Word document to the RoboHelp project. Set my preferences for style pagination, did a Force Update All. However, most of the images I inserted as links into my Word document don't come through into RoboHelp. Apparently I'm missing a setting somewhere but I can't figure out what it is. In addition, one of the images that did come through is horribly degraded.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippet 125 on my site, particularly the bit about PNG images.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for that. However, it still doesn't work. I made the appropriate changes in Word, saved as a new file, then went to RoboHelp, created a new project and still no joy.

MicrosoftWordWebOptions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reread the bit emphasised with a blue background. Try with the first option unticked.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no joy. All of the images in my Word document are linked .png files.

Here's the step-by-step of what I just did:

1. Open Word document
  2. Tools>>Options>>General>>Web Options.
  3. Change setting. Click OK
  4. Click OK
  5. Change text on page one of document to make sure document is "dirty".
  6. File>>Save As.
  7. Increment number in file name.
  8. File>>Exit.
  9. Launch RoboHelp
  10. Start new project
  11. Add all .png files to baggage.
  12. File>>Link>>Word Document
  13. Select appropriate Word file.
  14. File>>Project Settings>>Import tab
  15. Edit Word conversion settings to set pagination for heading styles and set Convert Word list to RoboHelp list
  16. Click OK
  17. Click Apply
  18. Click OK
  19. Right-click Word document in HTML Files (Topics) and choose Update>>Force Update All
  20. no joy

MicrosoftWordWebOptions2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure adding the files to baggage is necessary. However, let's try finding out where the problem is.

Create four Word documents, one with a linked PNG, one with an embedded PNG, one with a linked JPG and one with an embedded JPG.

Link all four documents to a new project and see what works.

Post back the results.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took it one step further and created six documents, taking the same approach with .gif files. Did not add files to baggage. That clarified the issue. Linked files never worked; embedded files always work {grrrr}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I thought you might find.

I suspect that is a technical limitation but I will try to find out more. Assume though that linking the document to images is not an option.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not an option; I deal with substantial software user manuals with a lot of screen captures; embedded graphics make the Word files bloated and unstable.

I've not had this issue in the past when I've used D2H {sigh}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for grins, I added the graphics files to baggage; made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp