• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A problem with this webpage caused Internet Explorer (IE9) to close and reopen the tab

New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have IE9 (using 32-bit version) installed on a relatively new laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. Up until last weekend IE9 worked fine and Flash Player worked fine too.

At the weekend a webpage asked for Flash Player to be updated - which I did. Ever since then whenever I go to a webpage needing Flash Player I get the message "A problem with this webpage caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab". This happens twice and then an IE9 error page.

I have read the discussions in here about the problems with Flash Player 10.3 and have tried the various solutions. I have updated to 10.3.181.16 having tried 15 and 14 previously. Same problem.

I have reset IE9. Same problem.

I have disabled all add-ons which stops the problem. If I enable just the Flash Player add-on then the problem recurs. Since there are so many webpages that use Flash I do not want to run my browser without this add-on running.

If I enable the add-on and run IE9 using software rendering instead of GPU rendering then I don't get the problem. However, this isn't exactly making the best use of the resources on my laptop.

This may well all be related to the 10.3 problems but no one seems to have mentioned having a problem with tabs closing and reopening so I thought I would post on here to check.

Any suggestions for how to solve this (other than using software rendering)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Have you tried using the Compatibility Mode?  Following is the main site for IE. I would also check the ActiveX Filtering also.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fo the reply. I am afraid that doesn't give me a solution. I cannot even load my homepage (which is www.bbc.co.uk) without the problem triggering almost immediately. Afer the two error message (with the tab reopening each time) I am left with an IE9 error page saying "Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem." Compatibility mode is not available, nor the back button. This isn't an issue over the compatibilty of the websites. I didn't get this problem with these same websites before Flash Player was upgraded.

As for ActiveX filtering, I tried that. But when I come to a webpage where I want to see the Flash Player item, I can't see it unless I switch off ActiveX flitering for that page - which immediately kicks in with the error as above.

The problem seems clearly to me to be one with the latest version of Flash Player and Internet Explorer.

As a matter of interest, I do not get any problem with Firefox or Chrome and I guess I may have to resort to using one of those. That's a pity as I prefer IE and the way it handles tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw your other post. I will try your suggestion over Java.

Thanks again for your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated Java as suggested. The problem still occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the problem continue if you press F12 and set the tab's Browser Mode to IE8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok on checking Java. This is the latest from the Flash Player Team on the update of 10.3.181.16. Please review to make sure you followed their instructions. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/852458?start=50&tstart=0

Keep in mind that the Flash Player update of 10.3.181.14 and IE9 together had some issues. The latest FP which you've Installed were to correct certain defined issues.

However, IE9 had major changes and features and they remain. So the Compatibility Mode, the ActiveX Filtering and others must be taken into consideration. Even if you were using a different version of Flash Player, that doesn't change the IE9 features.

Were you having these problems when you had Flash Player 10.3.181.14 and IE9 Installed together? If so were you able to solve them and if so how?

Check your Security setting for the Internet Zone and make sure it's set to Medium. Go to Tools, Internet Options>Security Tab.

If you have no problem when turning the hardware acceleration off, then there is some reason why. So all of these things need checked to see what that could be.

So this issue is really that you want to use the GPU rendering which isn't working for you instead of the software rendering which does work. The answer may be in the message you've been receiving: "A problem with this webpage caused IE to close...." Some factor in the webpage is causing this.  So that should be the focus. This may bring us back to the Compatibility View feature. I know you don't think so and that's fine, but Microsoft must have thot so since they included that feature with IE9.

Let me know on the above,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb   adding link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate the time you have taken to respond.

I think, however, you misunderstand the problem. IE9 does not reopen the tabs on just one website - it is doing this on every website that needs Flash Player. Therefore, running in Compatibility mode is not an option. In fact, because IE9 reopens the tabs so quickly and then ends up with an error page, I cannot even click the Compatibility button anyway.

I could use ActiveX filtering - true. All that this means is that Flash does not play on any of the websites. When I want to re-enable ActiveX for a particular website where I need to see the Flash Player item, this just triggers the error.

This problem also happened on .14, .15 and well as the current .16 version. It did not happen with the previous version of Flash Player that I had on the system (version 10.2 I think).

The fact is that either Flash Player or IE9 or both is/are broken. The two choices I am still left with are:

1. Use software rendering (which contradicts the latest advertisements for IE9 about unleashing the power of IE)

2. Use another browser - I have no problems with either Firefox or Chrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for that info, especially that this issue happened with .14 also. Troubleshooting involves eliminating the most probable conflicts first and we've been doing that. Very seldom is an issue just one thing. So we've established a couple.

Let's take a look at your Flash files and make sure they are correct. Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open the Flash folder and post back the Flash files listed. I don't need any install log info, just a list of what files are listed there.

Then using IE, check in Tools, Manage addons and make sure the Shockwave Flash Object is Enabled & is the same version of Flash Player that you now have Installed. (Look under "Show"(light text)

For IE to close that quickly it appears that there is a conflict with the ActiveX Control(Shockwave Flash Object) and also involves the hardware acceleration.

Have you had any malware issues? What Anti-Virus/Spyware program is Installed?

After you obtain the above info, I'd like you to check and see if you have a Kill-bit set. Just check for it:

open the registry editor: Start | Run | type regedit.exe
navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
if that key does not exist, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player is not set
if it contains a DWORD entry with the name Compatibility Flags that has any value other than 0x00000000, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player may be set

Read this carefully. You are just looking for this information. Don't do any changing or anything but look.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, also check in Control Panel/Programs & Features to make sure you have the latest Java version. If you have any other version remove them and reboot.

This issue may not be Flash related, but Java/ActiveX Filtering.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I've gathered links that may be helpful for you. Explanations of the 10.3.181.16 etc. Also the reasons that this was due to an issue with the 10.3.181.14 and IE9. I think there may be links in the 3rd link below how to report info if that's not working.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/852458?start=50&tstart=0
  http://blogs.adobe.com/flashruntimereleases/2011/05/31/flash-player-10-3-181-16-windows-activex-rele...
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/904/cpsid_90416.html

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines