• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to properly make titles fade out without fading out video

Explorer ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang. I'm a little stuck on something. Creating a title over black and having it fade in and out has proven easy. The video tutorials were clear andto the point.

However, I have not figured out how to fade the titles in and out when they play over actual video, without fading the video in and out as well. So can you guys point this stumped chump in the right direction?

Thanks. It'd be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Any way Stan made a very clear video tut.

I agree, and the Cross-Dissolve worked perfectly in that example.

Curious about Dip-to-Black/White in 5.5. Sure sounds like a Bug.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply a fade to the end of the Title Clip only....that will do what you expect.

You may need to show us a screen grab of your timeline otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made this for you...

http://screenr.com/XoI

It's a little down, dirty and silly, but I hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very useful for me -thanks friend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that this old thread was helpful. So often, that is an overlooked function of these forums.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, as Adobe tries to monitor all of the uses of their forums - so they can go to the "powers-that-be," and support their claim that the Adobe Forums should receive corporate support.

On each Reply, there is a little line "Was this helpful? Yes No." Please do not hesitate to check the Yes, for all that you found helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be a little out of time and perhaps not entirely on the question...

But my way is to use "opacity"  and I love it.

I also keep one title on a sequence of it's own, with controlled effect such as Opacity fading in from zero to 100 for a second or two, size zooming in to the middle of it and zooming out with a little motion then opacity out to zero again, I like a duration of 10 sec. , then grab it when I need a new title and use "new title based on current title" then rename it. And it's ready for my new title! It can always be modified with control effect (duration may need to match the original if default are shorter than the one created in the dedicated sequence).  I bump on this trying actually to see how to get my default duration to my liking on new tittles)  Else if I have already one title the way I like on my working sequence I just "copy" it and on my new title with no control effect I apply "paste Attributes" that this forum taught me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Your video on how to fade titles in an out is still helping. Thanks for taking time to create the educations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, I got a lot of help from this forum and glad to have been able to share something that may help others in return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Titles above the Video, you can use any number of Transitions, like Cross-Dissolve (as Craig suggests), but do NOT use Dip-to-Black, or it will take everything to black.

You can also Keyframe Opacity, if desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Stanley very nicely, and very quickly, demonstrated in his example, even dip-to-black will work just on the title. Deselecting the other tracks is the point he made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry.K,

Unless I missed something, Stanley used a Cross-Dissolve.

Had that example been done, using Dip-to-Black, the result would have been very different, as when that Transtion is above Video, on the Title, it will take everything to black, and then fade in the Title, and the Video below it.

That was my point, and hence that one caveat.

Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right Hunt

Just goes to show I should have checked the facts more carefully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have checked the facts more carefully

Great.  Now I have to police the police, too?

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

But not THAT often.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I sure did get a lot of help here. Much thanks. Heck, I never had anyone make a quick video tutorial for me!  

So I now have what I needed. Cross Dissolve worked perfectly, while deselecteing all other tracks. Excellent. Now I will start another thread about stabilizing jumpy/shaky DSLR footage. So far, I'm not getting good results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dip to black on a clip on a layer above all others ...should

dip ( fade ) every clip below it to black.

Never tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Craig,

Unless something very big has changed, it does. Dip-to-Black on upper Tracks will have that effect on all below it. That was the point that I wanted to make, as this has tripped many others up in the past. Disregarding Video below (lower Tracks), if one were to apply a Cross-Dissolve at the Head of a Title, it would look almost identical to using a Dip-to-Black of the same Duration. Add Video (or stills, or titles) on lower Tracks, and they are affected by the Dip-to-Black.

The Deselecting of the Track (Track Targeting) was done to allow for the Ctrl+D keystroke to apply the Default Transition, which in Stanley's case was the Cross-Dissolve.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dip to Black/White is kind of double sided transition on its own.  It performs differently in CS 5.5 opposite to CS5.

Added as a single sided transition it produces a very unexpected result. Added to the e.g. left side of a single clip it now starts clear, fades halfway to black and becomes clear again.

Dip to Black and White is therefore imo (or its a bug) only suite as double sided transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, and the Cross-Dissolve worked perfectly in that example.

Curious about Dip-to-Black/White in 5.5. Sure sounds like a Bug.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines