Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Data from excel or xml into livecycle designer form

Level 3

Hi

I have an excel spreadsheet set up to calculate average, count, max and min of some data that will be regularly altered.

I would like to connect the spreadsheet cells to my form sop that this calculated data is imported into my form (created in Livecycle Designer).

I have looked at numerous pages explaining connecting to databases but don't seem to be able to translate this information to relate to excel.  Could someone please help me connect these single cell pieces of data from Excel spreadsheet to my form.

Thanks

Hi again

I am now looking at eporting the data as an xml file from excel in an attempt to make this work.  It seems to me that this should/could be possible but is just out of my grasp.  When I think I find the answer it does not hold enough detail for me to follow through with making it work

Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

Thanks again

Message was edited by: CDesign2

8 Replies

Former Community Member

Did you ever get assistance with this?  I need to perform a similar function.

Level 3

No I have not had any responses but am still keen to find an answer

Former Community Member

Are you able to bind the XML data with your Form ?    

Regards--

Chalukya.                                           

Level 1

Hi ,

In order to connect a LiveCycleForm to xls Sheet (or any other database) it needs the Reader Extension Credential .

Level 1

If you designed the original form (from which the xml/excel data was created) as pdf, it is straight forward as if reintegrating data back into the form.  I suspect that may not be the case in your situation.  However, try to save the excel/xml document as a pdf document.  Then using adobe reader or professional, open this document and Adobe will load the elements.  You may want to you use Adobe LiveCycle to edit or create a form and preview at the same time until you are satisfied. In that case open the saved pdf form in liveCycle.  Hope this helps.

Level 3

Thanks for responding Mike-Davies!

I am trying to use DATA from say excel and use it to populate a form. The

excel form would be updated and then hopefully so would the relevant areas

of the form, which would do other things with the data. I am not sure

that what you have suggest will accomplish that....but maybe I am missing

your point

Level 1

Hi CDesign2,

If I understood you correctly, you are either trying to

1. View your xml data in Adobe LiveCycle form to redit the form???
  2. View your xml data in Adobe acrobat pro
  3. Or wishing to collate updated(new) data into adobe (lifecycle) tracker and view the data set

I suspect points 2, 3 may be the case.

My experience with migrating excel data back to adobe is this.

If you created the original form with adobe, you have the option of distributing the form (file/form distribution..)

to recipients list (could include form creator).

This allows adobe to generate a distribution and form response file and therefore able to track returned forms either as pdf (preferably) or excel/xml converted back to pdf after saving it.

For Point 2 above,assuming your original data set were created using an adobe form you previously saved, open your original form in acrobat pro, go to menu/forms/manage form data/import data (usually as xml). It automatically repopulates the form.

OR

To view returned forms as a set, go to menu/forms/compile returned forms and this will bring up a window that

requires you

-to browse and locate your response file (essentially defining the index form),which is opened into the top row

-then find and add each new completed form into a list in the second row.

You then click ok and all returned forms are opened in a tracker window...

I just realised I am talking about liveCycle ES version8 and this forum refers to pre ES!

I am not sure if this helps but I hope it answers some of your questions.

Level 1

I'm working on this same thing today, and we are getting it to work.  First make sure that you define a data range for your Excel spreadsheet information.   Next, follow the instructions at:  http://www.ehow.com/how_12175930_connect-adobe-livecycle-excel-worksheets.html   After building the connection string in Step 3, be sure to select the Table radio option and select your data range from the dropdown list.   Hope this help!