Exit

Merging Indexes in HTMLHelp

Participant ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 9.0.1.232 as part of TCS3

Win XP Pro SP3

This is interesting: When I merge indexes using a few CHMs, then test the merged index, I get a series of 6 squares replacing the title in the title bar. See below. However, the links still work correctly.

I tried this with 3 files combined, then 2.  It is hosed whenever I have more than 1 file, whenever multiple targets are found (i.e., not just in the case of 2 different CHMs, but also in the case of just 1 CHM that has multiple topics associated to 1 entry). All the indexes in the 3 files work fine individually.

I assume that my CHW file is getting clobbered somehow at merge time, but haven't had any luck in figuring out how or why. I tried deleting the CHW, generating to a common directory as Peter suggests, and investigating the hhc hhk and xpj files in a text editor - they all look okay.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

squares.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can find is this and it is old but it may have some clues.

http://lists.frameusers.com/pipermail/framers/2007-January/006039.html

The Helpware link in it is broken but you could try poking around http://www.helpware.net as it is a good source of CHM information.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I sent that it occurred to me that if the projects are all OK on their own, perhaps you have different language settings in the projects.

Check they are the same.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, unfortunately neither suggestion worked. The hhks are all in ASCII, and the language settings all match. I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er, ANSI.

Tried duplicating window sizes and other things that probably shouldn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jack

Out of curiosity, have you tried compiling directly using the HTML Help Workshop and removing RoboHelp from the mix? My thought is that this would isolate whether the issue is stemming from the way the source files are built or whether it's something RoboHelp itself is introducing during the handoff to the compiler.

Additionally, you might consider opening the HHP of each project using Windows Notepad and ensure a language setting is present. It should look something like this:

0x409 English (United States)

Just ensure it appears somewhere within the [OPTIONS] section.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to the language as set in Tools > Options and meaning language in the sense of English US / French and so on.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that too is correct.  I will try compiling using Help Workshop alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If that fails, try a new merge of say three projects and see what result you get there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp