• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted external file opening behavior by pdfs

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2011 Jun 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 8 (TCS 2) on a Windows Vista machine and have done so without issue for quite some time. However, today, after applying the BaseImage.dll fix described for images prepared in PS CS5.1 appearing as a red box (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/859/cpsid_85901.html) any pdf that I apply to a project, either as a baggage file, by hyperlinking to the file or by embedding it now prompts a dialog box to open the pdf externally in projects exported as browser-based help.

I don't know if the BaseImage.dll is related but that is the only modification that I have performed on my system. Normally, when I create a topic page in my TOC and link it to a pdf baggage file, the file opens within my main frame or when I link it as a hyperlink and set "Display in frame" to "Page Default (none) etc it will open within the browser. It is now applying this new unwanted behavior on older projects that I have gone back and re-generated which is why I suspect the BaseImage.dll has rewritten some default behavior.

This is very problematic for me as I need the pdfs to open within the main application. I would sincerely appreciate any assistance!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2011 Jun 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revert to the old file and see if the behaviour reverts. That will establish whether or not the DLL is involved in the problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick

Thank you for your response. As I described in my response to Peter, I've always been able to view pdf's within the browser up to the point where I updated the .dll file. I won't rule out that some other process caused this change though and nonetheless, I appreciate you taking the time to offer assistance.

Take care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response. That was my first response and it failed to make a difference. I then tried a number of progressively escalting options up to, and including, reinstalling RoboHelp 8.

The last desperate remedy I tried was to delete my browser's MIME file (Firefox) and this finally resolved the issue. I cannot figure out why this changed in the first place though as the project I am building has consistently displayed pdf files within the browser and the only change that I made was by updating the .dll file. I have not updated it after reinstalling RoboHelp 8.

I will conclude by conceding that it is entirely possible that the .dll fix is unrelated to my browser's pdf opening behavior changing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp