Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Read barecode from PDF

Former Community Member

Hello,

I create proces which read pdf document with barecode. When I

read barecode from Tif file everything is ok. When I read barecode

from pdf file, it return empty mesage.

I create pdf file from pdf form via adobe printer.

If I create pdf via combinate file from acrobat. Decode barecode doesnt

throws an error but decoding never stop (the decode component is green

in recording).

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Does anyone have solution? - I have to use pdf for decode not tif. And

a customer havent generator, so I cant convert pdf->tif.

Thanks Jakub

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Right now it throws this error

ALC-DSC-000-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCRuntimeException: Internal error.
at com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.impl.soap.axis.sdk.SoapAxisDispatcher.throwExceptionHandler(SoapAxisDispatcher.java:211)
at com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.impl.soap.axis.sdk.SoapAxisDispatcher.doSend(SoapAxisDispatcher.java:129)
at com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.impl.base.AbstractMessageDispatcher.send(AbstractMessageDispatcher.java:66)
at com.adobe.idp.dsc.clientsdk.ServiceClient.invoke(ServiceClient.java:208)
at com.adobe.workbench.utils.invoke.InvokeWithProgressRunner.invokeServiceOperation(InvokeWithProgressRunner.java:230)
at com.adobe.workbench.utils.invoke.InvokeWithProgressRunner.run(InvokeWithProgressRunner.java:125)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: (0)null
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.java:744)
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)
at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.invoke(SimpleChain.java:83)
at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:165)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2765)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2748)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2424)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2347)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1804)
at com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.impl.soap.axis.sdk.SoapAxisDispatcher.doSend(SoapAxisDispatcher.java:127)
... 5 more

Former Community Member

The problem is due to the fact that you are trying to decode a barcode from a PDF that is not printed or flattened. It is still an electronic PDF.  The workflow the barcode decoder is expecting is either a TIF or PDF that has been flattened. Ideally, the PDF is the result of a scan.

If you are trying to simulate the scanning of flat PDF's I would suggest saving the document as a TIF and then convert that to a PDF.

If you are receiving electronic documents then use the Data Export service instead of the barcode decoder as this will provide you with the field values without having to decode the barcode.

Alternatively, first try to export data from the PDF, if that fails, then decode. This will allow you to get the data directly from the PDF if it is still in electronic form, and then fall back to the barcode if the PDF is a scanned or faxed document.