• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting RH5X to RH9

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any specific help topics in RH9 that provide details on converting RH5X projects and help into RH9? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt.

Check out the RoboHelp menu at Peter Grainge's site. It has some details of what to expect in RH9. We are still on RH8 here but upgraded to RH8 and I have some pages on my blog with our findings.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be impossible to document what you ask as so much would depend on what you put into X5.

The Using RoboHelp 9 page will cover some of the issues found. The most important thing would be to note there is a Service Release for RoboHelp 9 and you should apply that before you start work.

The area you are most likely to have problems is lists. See the Lists page on my site.

Create a zip copy of your X5 project. Then if anything goes wrong, you can unzip that and try again.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

My RH5 project is a MSFT HTML Help primary layout, and a collection of word docs and a TOC.   Does that make the process to convert to RH9 any easier?

Thanks,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. Other than lists it will likely be OK but there is only one way you are going to know.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

So do i need to import each individual word doc or the just the primary layout .chm file?  sorry for all the basic questions, and really appreciate the guidance...  Is there any sort of service offered by RH that can do this for me to get me up and running in RH9?

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be as simple as opening the project in the new version. However, like any upgrade it can go wrong so make that zipped copy first.

Is this a RoboHelp for Word or RoboHelp HTML project?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH for Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK if it is RH for Word you still need to take a backup before upgrading. Then you just open the project. Nothing will have changed in the functionality from RHX5 to RH9 in the RH for Word application so you'll more than likely be OK. However as Peter says, the only sure way is to test it.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks for the quick help!  I should mention that i have the RH9 on a different system than that of RH5.  So that is what is casuing a bit of confusion of what all to bring over to RH9 system for converting the RH5 project.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is there are few power users of RoboHelp for Word around now so whilst Colum, I and others know what to do when a RoboHelp HTML project goes belly up, we don't have the same knowledge of RoboHelp for Word.

So where is everything stored? The project is on the hard drive of another machine? Along with the documents?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and i can easily just migrate the entire project folder with all contentsand try to convert from that...

would i just import each word document or if i open the RH5 .hpj file will that convert and bring all the related word docs along too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zip it all up, copy it and unzip it with the same structure. Then open the HPJ with RH9. You might want to step back from the PC at that point.

If anything does go dramatically wrong, you still have it all on the old machine. You need Word 2003 or higher.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter, will give it a go later as time permits and let you know.  Really apprecaite your help and this forum for these basic questions.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I was able to convert the RH5 into RH9; so thank you for your help.   Another question if you don't mind....

How can I make a copy of the converted RH9 project with a unique new name, copying all exisiting word docs, images, etc?

butNeed to create a duplicate with a unique name, so that I can edit each separately for different software versions we develop.

Look forward to your help - once again!

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows Explorer - copy and paste the folder.

Open the project and go to File > Rename (optional)

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp