• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader X: Read Out Loud function not working; no voice output

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using this function in the Reader 9.4 but the voice got the text a bit garbled at times, so I thought I'd try the latest version of the Reader and see if the passage was less garbled.  Reader X has no voice output at all, even after setting and confirming accessability config.  I messed with all 3 options of text buffering.  I know the pdf file I'm viewing is ocr not image (at least Reader 9.4 could read it w/ a bit of it being garbled).  Not sure what else to try; Text Aloud voices still work in that application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I Recommend that you try turning off the protection mode.
Edit > Preferences
Choose "General" from the Categories on the Left
and at the bottom of the form you will find "[ ] Enable Protected Mode at startup"
Uncheck it and
Restart the program.
I didn't have the same problem you had until I install a new voice, then I had the same problem. and this seemed to do the trick.
Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just now bumping into the problem again.  I've got choices in "preferences - reading" of 3 AT&T voices and the default MS voice.  I prefer the AT&T Voices that I got from text aloud.  But they don't work even if I can point to one of them via preferences.  But the default MS voice works I found out, eventaully.  I guess I'm OK w/ just that voice available to me rather than "enabling protected start up" and reinstalling the AT&T voices (think that's what you suggest to do).  BTW, "enabling protected start up" is already set so maybe this would not work.  Also not sure I have the voices on disk so... can I even reinstall them?

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh uncheck "enabling protected start up" got it.  But still I may just suffer with the default voice, will see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The enable protected mode is not available to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling "[ ] Enable Protected Mode at startup" works. Just want to point out that this option is in Edit-> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it worked! thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed read out loud in Adobe Reader XI by picking the "Microsoft Anna" voice in the reading preferences.  No other voices work.  I haven't seen this answer in any forum, but a youtube video casually mentioned it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETOohmYui3Q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines