Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Additional Help with Bulleted Lists

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've read this thread over and over, regarding issues with bulleted lists: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/452971

My problem is related (I think my lists could also be behaving oddly  due to them possibly being paragraph-style lists), but a bit different  so I wanted to create a new thread rather than add my questions to that  thread.

To illustrate my problem, I typed the text, then highlighted it, then selected the style from the Styles drop-down list to apply it to the highlighted text. This is what the outcome is:

listsInRH9.jpg

Notice that the font I use for the numbers isn’t being picked up, and the disc bullets should actually be squares.

Here is the CSS information for these two styles:

P.UnorderedListFirstLevel {

margin-top: 0pt;

margin-bottom: 0pt;

font-style: normal;

font-variant: normal;

font-weight: normal;

color: #000000;

list-style: square;

font-size: 11px;

}

LI.P-UnorderedListFirstLevel {

list-style: square;

}

P.OrderedList {

margin-top: 0pt;

margin-bottom: 0pt;

margin-left: 0pt;

list-style: decimal;

padding: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;

padding-bottom: 0pt;

padding-left: 0pt;

padding-right: 0pt;

padding-top: 0pt;

font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;

x-next-class: OrderedList;

x-next-type: P;

}

LI.P-OrderedList {

list-style: decimal;

font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;

}

Notice that for the unordered list, there is code for making the bullet a square (“list-style: square;”) and for the ordered list, there is code for formatting the numbers (“font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;”).

So here's my question: What can I do to fix the above code and make it work correctly like it does in RH7? Below is what the same list looks like in RH7, properly displaying, using the same exact code. Thanks in advance for all assistance!

listsInRH7.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

No sweat. You actually solved the problem yourself, but there is a problem with the case of your styles. (CSS class name selectors are case sensitive for XHMLT documents.)

Amend your css like this:

LI.P-UnorderedListFirstLevel,

LI.p-UnorderedListFirstLevel {}

LI.P-OrderedList,

LI.p-OrderedList {}

This should solve your problems.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is probably connected to the problem in the post you referenced. Did you also take a look on http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/lists.htm?

That said, can you post the HTML of the offending lists so we can see whats going on there? The CSS works as expected in a test page I created. It might be that your HTML need some tweaks.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

Below is the HTML. Sorry, I did mean to include this in my original post and forgot. Also, no I did not look at the page you reference in your post, but I will do that right now.

<ul>

<li class=p-UnorderedListFirstLevel><p class=UnorderedListFirstLevel>hello</p></li>
    <li class=p-UnorderedListFirstLevel><p class=UnorderedListFirstLevel>goodbye</p></li>
    <li class=p-UnorderedListFirstLevel><p class=UnorderedListFirstLevel>sometimes</p></li>
</ul>

<ol>

<li class=p-OrderedList><p class=OrderedList>hello</p></li>
    <li class=p-OrderedList><p class=OrderedList>goodbye</p></li>
    <li class=p-OrderedList><p class=OrderedList>sometimes</p></li>
</ol>

Message was edited by: LaKisha1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sweat. You actually solved the problem yourself, but there is a problem with the case of your styles. (CSS class name selectors are case sensitive for XHMLT documents.)

Amend your css like this:

LI.P-UnorderedListFirstLevel,

LI.p-UnorderedListFirstLevel {}

LI.P-OrderedList,

LI.p-OrderedList {}

This should solve your problems.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

That TOTALLY worked! Just changing those two lowercase p's to uppercase worked! Thank you sooooo much for saving me time! I truly appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CSS code that you have shared seems to be of an old version RoboHelp, If you are using any version > RH 8, I would suggest you to create new paragraph style through UI (either through Styles dialog or through "Styles and Formatting" POD right click options) and define you list while creating the paragraph style and use the paragraph level list it will keep a consistent list code and output

ParaLevelList.JPG

Hope this will help

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashish,

What HTML/CSS results from setting this numbering format? If you use those settings, can you still work with lists in the same way as was done in RoboHelp 7 and earlier?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

What LaKisha1 required was something else by just looking at the css what I deduced was different, this para-level list was introduced in RH 8 and I felt it was being referred, but only simple list was required here.

To elaborate para-level list and Lists usage would be that you can have a continuous list (para-level) across the topic even if we place other paragraphs or blank lines in between.

The same can be achieved in the simple list but will require additional HTML tweaking.

See how it looks in RH design view below :-

ListDesignView.JPG

The HTML code looks like :-

<ol type="1">

<li>This </li>

<li>is </li>

<li>the </li>

</ol>

<p>&#160;</p>

<p>text in between normal list</p>

<p>&#160;</p>

<ol type="1">

<li>first </li>

<li>topic </li>

<li>in </li>

</ol>

<p>&#160;</p>

<p>&#160;</p>

<p>&#160;</p>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Para-List" ?><p class="Para-List">your

</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Para-List" ?><p class="Para-List">project.

</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<p class="Para-List">&#160;</p>

<p class="Para-List">text in between para list </p>

<p class="Para-List">&#160;</p>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Para-List" ?><p class="Para-List">Delete

</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Para-List" ?><p class="Para-List">this

</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Para-List" ?><p class="Para-List">text

</p><?rh-list_end ?>

And the CSS :-

p.Para-List {

list-style: rh-list;

x-list-class: rl-p-Para-List;

x-list-level: 1;

}

rh-list.rl-p-Para-List {

x-level-count: 1;

x-lvl-1-format: "<x>.";

x-lvl-1-type: decimal;

}

While generating the output the rendering is taken care of properly and all the PI code is removed.

NB:-Yes you can work on it as you use to work in RH 7 and before ...

Hope this might help

Ashsih

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To complete the picture for anyone looking at this thread later, for simple lists you can set up a List style in RoboHelp 8 and above and have that link itself to a paragraph style. If for example you can link a List Style to Normal and later change Normal to have more spacing below, the List would also have that added without you doing anything other than amend the Normal style.

See Lists on my site for more information.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp