Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot transfer to Sony e-reader - Resource too long

Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to now I've never had a problem downloading books (mostly from Waterstones) or transferring them to my Sony PRS 505 but I recently bought one book which looks fine in Digital Editions but won't transfer to the reader.  The title shows up on the reader but there is only one page and this shows a page error.  Under item info. in Digital Editions it has a little warning triangle and says "document contains a resource which is too long".  There is a tech note on this on Adobe which has this to say:

Solution

This is a known limitation of the Sony® Reader at this time.

I contacted Waterstones support because I felt that since their ebooks are specifically targeted to the Sony reader they should make sure that this problem doesn't arise.  The first response just told me to make sure I had Digital Editions downloaded and when I explained my problem again I was told they were not technically trained for the transfer of the Adobe to the eReader and couldn't advise me further.

I wonder if anyone could advise me if there is anything else I can do.  I love my eReader but I can't manage to read a book on my PC.

Thanks in advance,

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

The situation is pretty much as you described it.  Waterstones has sold you an ePub file which cannot be displayed on the Sony Reader.  Waterstones (if you get past their first level tech support) should be very well aware of the issue, however it is not a problem that they can fix as that has to be done by the publisher which creates the file.

You will need to negotiate with Waterstones if you want a refund.

Out of curiousity, what was the title and publisher for the file in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The situation is pretty much as you described it.  Waterstones has sold you an ePub file which cannot be displayed on the Sony Reader.  Waterstones (if you get past their first level tech support) should be very well aware of the issue, however it is not a problem that they can fix as that has to be done by the publisher which creates the file.

You will need to negotiate with Waterstones if you want a refund.

Out of curiousity, what was the title and publisher for the file in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I thought that was pretty much the case.  I'll have to argue my case with Waterstones.

The book was  Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent.  The publisher on Waterstones is listed as Transworld Digital but on DE it says Random House Ebooks.  I've had Random House Ebooks before without a problem but I think they may have been listed as published by Corgi.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nicholas Crane's book Clear Waters Rising gives the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines