4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 11:56 AM by RjL190365

I7 2600 advantage over a certified nvidia card

witte witse

There has been a discussion on another forum about the advantage of a cuda card if you have a I7 2600 processor and I thought the best place to ask was here.

Now I did some testing with premiere cs5 and a mpe enabled card on a overclocked I7 950, I threw some 1080p dslr material on the timeline and added some random processor intensive effects like a luma curve, which I copied a few times. With MPE disabled my system almost came to a halt when previewing the timeline and exporting that footage to a 1080p h.264 vbr 25-30mbs file took several times longer then realtime. If I enabled MPE my preview on the timeline was silky smooth and exporttime was twice faster then realtime.

There was someone however claiming that a I7 2600, due to it’s “sophisticated structure” would be able to handle preview and export (in above case) equally good without a certified nvidia card meaning with MPE disabled, according to him the I7 2600 was that fast that you did not need a certified cuda card, it would be able to handle all what a cuda card could handle equally fast.

Based on my test that’s something I can’t believe, especially because my overclocked I7 950 is on paper even a bit faster then a stock I7 2600. Can anyone share his opinion on this?

• 1. Re: I7 2600 advantage over a certified nvidia card
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Welcome to the forum!

I invite you to look at the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) web site and notice that even the fastest Sandy Bridge processors do indeed benefit from a CUDA card.  It is not ether or, it is a great combination.  The features that they probably were talking about are not supported in Premiere.  And the smooth playback that you experienced will not happen without MPE hardware acceleration.

• 2. Re: I7 2600 advantage over a certified nvidia card
            witte witse Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

I had one more question when a cuda card supports the exporting part. As a test I added a luma curve to a 30 second dslr clip and copied that effect 10 times, with mpe off I only had audio but the image froze when attempting to playback the timeline. With mpe on I had fluent playback, but, when I wanted to export to to a h.264 1080p vbr 25-30mbs preset with mpe off it took allmost 5 minutes, with mpe on it toke 20 seconds.

is it so that mpe only uses the cuda card to support in exporting when there have been gpu accelerated effects applied on the clip? If iI don't apply any effects on the clip I don't get any speed advantages during render when mpe is on or off, only when gpu accelerated effects have been applied.

• 3. Re: I7 2600 advantage over a certified nvidia card
              RjL190365 Level 5

What you read about on the Sandy Bridge CPU's video-encoding capabilities is called QuickSync. QuickSync currently works only with the integrated Intel GPU inside the Sandy Bridge CPUs. Intel has a separate plugin that allows Adobe Premiere to use the feature. However, it does not help editing or playback within Premiere at all; it remains software-only in CS5.x. And while QuickSync does speed up encoding via the Adobe Media Encoder with Maximum Render Quality disabled, selecting MRQ to increase the quality on encodes would completely negate any speed advantage of QuickSync. Thus, you're better off going exclusively with a certified Nvidia CUDA card.

• 4. Re: I7 2600 advantage over a certified nvidia card
                RjL190365 Level 5

I am going to add to what I stated:

The Intel QuickSync plugin is currently not compatible at all with the PPBM5 benchmark test because the benchmark requires the export to MPEG-2 DVD and H.264 Blu-ray formats (neither of which the QuickSync plugin currently supports). The only available MPEG-2 and H.264 presets in the QuickSync plugin encode the video to a format that requires re-encoding (and thus degrades image quality further) when exported to DVD or Blu-ray.