• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why has HTML in RH X5 glossary hotspots?

Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a RoboHelp X5 WebHelp project which is updated every quarter.  I do not work in the client's office - simply send the WebHelp to them for publication.  The project is updated every quarter and while testing before this quarter's publication at the end of June a problem has come up with how glossary hotspots display.  After every glossary hotspot (in magenta...client's choice, not mine) we now have an extra space.  In previous publications that extra space wasn't there.  I've pasted a screen shot here to show you:

Glossary terms extra spaces.jpg

The IT guy in the client's office diagnosed it this way after looking at the HTML:

(<a class="glossterm" href="javascript:kadovTextPopup(this)" id="a1">CCO</a> <span class="glosstext" style="display:'none';" id="POPUP181927339">Chief Credit Officer - John Doe</span>).

The problem is the space between </a> and <span (highlighted above). The space needs to be right before the text inside of the <span> tag.

Copied below is code from the last quarter's publication when we didn't have the extra space followed by this quarter's project which suddenly and inexplicably has the extra space.

(<a class="glossterm" href="javascript:kadovTextPopup(this)" id="a1">CCO</a><span class=glosstext style="display: 'none';" id=POPUP43291891 >   Chief Credit Officer - John Doe</span>)

What I need to try to determine is how and why the HTML would change when I made no change to content in the project and haven't knowingly made any updates to RoboHelp.  The IT guy thought there might be a possibility that an automatic Adobe Updater might have touched RoboHelp somehow.  If that's true, how might I get rid of this problem?  An uninstall and reinstall of RH X5?  And if it isn't possible that the RH software was somehow changed without my doing anything, what else could account for this change in the HTML?  My client doesn't want to publish with these extra spaces but I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thank you.

Diane

P.S.
If any of this rings a bell about some recent posts of mine, you're not crazy.  I wrote about a problem I was having with a custom program written for me to identify and locate manually-added glossary hotspots so I could update definitions when necessary.  RoboHelp can only find and update hotspots added with its Glossary Wizard and the client had insisted on some hotspots in places different than the wizard would place them.  Suddenly with this quarter's project publication the program no longer worked and we were unable to find out why.  If in fact the RH software was somehow changed through an automatic update or some such thing, that would explain why my custom program no longer worked...it was looking for HTML that is different than when the programmer first wrote the program for me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Almost out the door for church service but check your CSS! These are defined in the CSS.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look at it, but I know for a fact I haven't touched the style sheet

since about 9 months ago and we've had at least one publication since then -

our last one - that didn't have the extra space problem. Do you know of any

way a style sheet could be modified without me intentionally opening it up

and editing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No version of RoboHelp automatically applies updates so you can rule that out. It can tell you about an update but not automatically apply it. Also X5 has not had an update created for years.

CSS changes would need to be made consciously so you can rule that out too.

The only thing that comes to mind is that a similar issue arose with RoboHelp 8 and was covered here. Sorry but I don't know the cause.

What happens of you open an old backup where you know this worked OK? Does that now show a space?

Have you changed PCs?

Maybe Rick has some other ideas?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Mea Culpa on the CSS. I wasn't able to fully digest the post yesterday.

Ummm, isn't this the project where you were doing some sort of massive find and replace because of some issue with auto-populating Glossary hotspots as opposed to manually creating them? If so, I'm wondering if that's how the spaces got in there.

If not, slap me silly and call me stumped!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - this is the same project you're remembering. I tried to point that out in the PS of my first post. I was trying to find manually-added glossary hotspots so I could update definitions. I was never able to do that, though, as the custom program suddenly stopped working so had to resort to finding each hotspot by reading all the topics then change definitions as necessary manually. Given that scenario, I don't see how extra spaces could show up suddenly. I'm thinking it's too much of a coincidence that the extra spaces showed up at the same time the custom program that used to find all topics containing manually-added hotspots stopped working. If HTML had changed, the program wouldn't work as it would be looking for a different string of code than it was programmed to find. And if it changed somehow, that could be when the extra spaces came in.

So if I could find out why the HTML has changed and how correct it, I might find both problems solved. But since I haven't touched the CSS in a long time and also haven't made any changes to RH such as patches, updates, upgrades, etc., I'm at a loss as to what to try.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in responding to Peter's suggestion.  We had some unexpected last-minute fires to put out.  But I did as suggested and opened an old version of the project and it was fine - did not have the spacing problem after glossary hotspots.  So then I made a copy of that version which didn't have the spacing problem, regenerated the WebHelp with the same version of RH X5 I use for the project that is giving me the spacing problems and sure enough...the spacing issue showed up in the newly generated WebHelp when it wasn't there before.  I also tried replacing the CSS in my current space-plagueed project with the CSS from the old version of the project but it made no difference.

So..any more thoughts on what could be the problem?  Seems as though RH is the culprit but I can't imagine in what way.

Thanks for any help.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I neglected to answer one of Peter's questions.  He wanted to know if I had changed PCs...no, I haven't.  No change in PC, RH, CSS, at least not intentional.  And as some of us agreed, it would be hard to make a change to the CSS unintentionally and there's no doubt about whether or not I've changed PCs.  Unless I'm overlooking something, it seems to leave RH as the culprit but I'm stumped as to what the change could be.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumped too but I have to say that whilst RoboHelp could be the culprit, the same as any other element, at the moment it does seem as if it is getting blamed on the basis of it being the last man standing.

Create a new project with just one topic and see what happens there. Use the default CSS and keep the topic simple. That will narrow it down to being the project or RoboHelp.

I don't think it would be any different viewing with other browsers but check that out too.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now that I think about it a bit more, it seems to point to RoboHelp ON

THIS MACHINE. I have the same version of RH installed on a laptop and will

try my project there, but if I have the same problem what do you think of

uninstalling and reinstalling RH in case it was changed somehow? If I

recall it's a pain - have to call Adobe to get permissiion to install again.

And I always hate to uninstall and reinstall just about anything for fear

some new problem will crop up. But it might seem worth trying. Are you

aware of any pitfalls in doing that, or have any suggestions about how to

avoid problems with the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think the next test is a new project on the same machine.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post back before uninstalling. There's no need to contact Adobe but I really don't think that is the problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a test project on the same machine used with the project I'm having the spacing problem with.  Created just one topic, used the default.css, created 2 glossary terms and linked them to topic content.  Linked one using the Wizard and the other by drag and drop.  The generated WebHelp was fine - no extra spaces after the hotspots.  Then I copied the style sheet from my real project into the test project and regnerated the WebHelp and still no problem.  So it seems as if we've ruled out my PC and the style sheet.as culprits.  That leaves something in my project or in RH, but since RH isn't creating the problem in my test project I assume it's not RH either.  And since RH created a problem-free new test project, I wouldn't think uninstalling and reinstalling RH would serve any purpose (as you guessed).  Any other thoughts on what else in the project could be causing such a thing?

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a peace offering is required because you found poor innocent RoboHelp guilty without evidence?

I am not sure where it will take us but now import a topic that is playing up into the new project. Does it still play up?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually love RoboHelp so hated thinking I was blaming it!

Imported a topic from the problem project into the test project, regenerated

WebHelp and all is fine.

In case this helps at all, this is the HTML in the test project for a

glossary term in the topic I imported from the real project:

credit approval authority <!begin!kadov{{><script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2><!--

kadovTextPopupInit('A3');

//></script><!}}end!kadov-->

And here's the code from that same glossary term as it exists in the real

project where I have the problem:

credit approval authority <!begin!kadov{{><script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2><!--

kadovTextPopupInit('A3');

//></script><!}}end!kadov-->

And here's the code for that same glossary term in an old version of the

project where I don't have the spacing problem:

kadovTextPopupInit('A2');

//></script><!}}end!kadov--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I failing to spot the difference?

That makes me think that something like a javascript file has a difference in it. With suitable backups and working on copies etc, try dropping into the old project the ehlpdhtm.js file from the new project.

How much work is involved in importing all the old topics into the new one?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you can't see a difference because I couldn't.  I should have pointed out that I didn't see a difference but was wondering if someone else might see something I didn't.  I just got off a 2-hour call with Adobe which started with questions about purchasing RH 9 and I happened to mention this problem to the rep.  He told me that X5 wasn't supported any longer but he'd be happy to take a look at my project anyway.  I gave him access to view my desktop and after looking at my problem project and the test project which is fine and after doing some tests on his end he couldn't find anything wrong, although he sees the problem in the output.  He asked me to give him 24 hours to look into it some more and he'd get back to me.  I told him what you said about thinking there had been a discussion in this forum about the same/similar problem with RH 8 so he'll check that avenue as well.

In the meantime, I have no idea what the file is you suggest I replace but I'm thriled with anything I can try.  I'll do that this evening or in the morning and post the results.

Thanks again!

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as suggested:

"...try dropping into the old project the ehlpdhtm.js file from the new project."

Hoping I understood correctly what you wanted me to do, I copied the ehlpdhtm.js from a copy of the current, problematic project into a copy of the old, problem-free project, and generated new WebHelp.  Result:  no change in the old project.  It looks fine - did not become "infected" with the problem in my current project.  I assume that's what you were looking for - to see if that file would cause the spacing problem to appear in a project that didn't have the problem.

Any new thoughts?

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I wanted you to copy the file from the good project into the bad project, then regenerate the help and see if that fixed it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - that's what I thought you wanted when I first read your note, then read it more carefully and got confused with the use of "old" and "new" projects.  I think of the old one as the good one from a quarter ago and the new one as the one with the problem.  You must mean new to be the newly created test project and old to be the real, current project with the problem.  What you say makes more sense now.

Just to make sure I hadn't muddied the waters with that confusion, before I did replaced the .js file in the right direction I made new, clean copies of both projects.  Unfortunately after doing that and replaciing the .js and regenerating the WebHelp, the problem still remains.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must mean new to be the newly created test project and old to be the real, current project with the problem.

Correct.

Two options

1. Keep playing around like that until you find the cause.
  2. Surrender and import all the other topics into the working project.

My money at this stage would be on 2.

One warning. Import the topics in batches and test to make sure it hasn't broken in the process.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By keep playing around I assume you mean trying to replace different

RoboHelp files - even if I don't know exactly what their purpose is.

And in Option 2 you're talking about staying in RH X5, right? I was made to

understand by Adobe (and maybe on this list, can't remember) that if you

recreate a project you need to relink every link in the project. At least

Adobe said that's the only way to be certain the links weren't messed up

during the change. Is that your experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, keeping the project in X5 as that is what your client is forcing.

It should NOT be necessary to recreate the links. While you are part way through importing all the topics, you will see broken links because a topic you have imported will be pointing to a topic you have not yet imported. As you import those target topics, those broken links should start disappearing.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all so much for taking the time to try to help.  I'll be doing some more testing (and waiting to hear back from my call to  Adobe) and will let you know what we discover.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp