• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Favicon won't go away RH9

Participant ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH9 WebHelp (TCS 3) seems to be forcing a "favorite icon" on my projects. RH8 does not.  I am out of ideas on how to get rid of this default icon, which I definitely +don't+ want.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was always an icon so I assume you mean this is a different icon that you do not want.

Check the configuration when you generate the help as there is now a favicon field there. If it has an icon specified, that is what you will get.

A screenshot of the icon might help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no entry in the Favicon field (i.e., in the RoboHelp interface) in either my RH8 or RH 9 project. This is what my original project under RH8 (TCS3) displays:

8_favicon.png

This is what a copy of the project under RH9 displays:

9_favicon.png

Nothing was changed by me for the RH9 version, I just let Robo convert from RH8.

If the RH8 version is using an icon to get the "page" looking thing as a favicon, I can't find it; I have searched all the graphics files with IrfanView.  I can find whstart.ico and delete it, but the image still appears when I generate the WebHelp. Using Notepad++, I can find <element name="SSFavIconPath" value="" /> in my WebHelp.ssl file, and I can find 2217 instances of "icon" in the whole file set, but nothing useful. I don't want to have to manually edit HTML to change <link rel="shortcut icon" href="whstart.ico"> to something else or take it out entirely - RoboHelp is supposed to be doing that for me.I could kludge it by copying the version 8 image and saving over whstart.ico, but that's bogus.

whstart.ico is identical in RH8 and RH9. The "page" favicon does appear when I take out the "shortcut icon" reference in the HTML manually.

So, any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd as I think the globe has always been the standard icon and the problem was changing that. I wonder if the browser used makes a difference?

Unless you are averse to any icon, the simplest solution would be to create an icon you are happy with. There are plenty of icon editors out there for free. I use IcoFXPortable.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

For me the favicon was sporadic at best in 8 and earlier. So I can easily understand the confusion. I'm guessing 9 changed the playing field with the ability to choose our own. Probably touches some obscure area that now forces display of what went missing before.

I'm wondering if you would get the generic icon by specifying one that really doesn't exist?

Just sort of thinking out loud... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I don't want any icon at all, and was hoping someone would have an idea on how to force RH not to include one.

Rick,

No confusion on my part.  I just want the thing to go away.  The Favicon field in the RH8 interface is the same as in RH9.  I should not have to make a kludge; leaving the entry field blank should mean "no icon", not "revert to the one we're going to give you anyway". This is not a feature or even a bug; it's an error in judgment. IMO, of course.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ask if there is a solution. At worst you have found a way to get back to where you were, albeit not ideal.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't ask as I found a way that puts you back to where you were with RoboHelp 8 without hacking files.

Open a text editor, create a blank file and save it as anyfilename.ico. Specify that and you get the old white page instead. I suspect that is a Windows default as I see that icon on every page I open for a site unless they have their own icon. Have you found any web page you can open without some icon?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I certainly didn't mean to imply you were confused. Only that for a typical user when you observe something a new version does the the older version didn't do that it can be unsettling. Apologies as it seems my choice of words seemed to offend or antagonize you and that wasn't my intent.

I totally understand that you want the thing to go away. Peter and I are not Adobe employees. We have simply tried offering whatever solutions we can think of. True, nobody likes a kludge, myself included. But until Adobe makes a change there is little we can do but adapt and figure our own workarounds. So again, apologies if you didn't like what we tried to offer and help with.

I might respectfully ask if you elected to report the unwanted behavior to Adobe via the Bug Reporting form. If you have, that's about all you can do at this point. If not, I do hope you take a moment and fill it out as no behavior is likely to change if folks choose not to report it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, Rick, not ticked off at you.  I have multiple files and at some point I could forget to kludge one. Sorry if I offended. I will put this in a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You did see the suggestion that got you back to the RH8 page icon?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp