Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoPro fish-eye correction?

Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of (or have currently in their posession) a fish-eye correction plugin or preset for Premiere?

I have heard there is software and different lenses that correct this, but I am sure someone has played with "distort"

to create a preset for their GoPro footage. Any bones to throw?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

No preset, but it's a single adjustment so you should be able to get it working quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the Optics Compensation effect in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I am familiar with other product solutions... but I want to make the best use out of the stuff I alreay have.

I have seen and heard of some "distort" Premiere fuctions used to correct fisheye, I just need someone to tell

me where to find a preset... or better yet... link one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere i could not fix it but After Effects has the Optics Compensation that works wonderfull well with the GoProHD.

Although you lose a bit of quality.

For 1080 set it to about 60-65 and for 720 80-85.

Lens Distortion set to reverse.

Before

before.png

After

after.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, that really does work, but you're right aobut the loss of quality. Perhaps a better route would be just to purchase the non-fish lens.

Still though, I know you can add a fisheye effect in Premiere, so I know you can take it away as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution is to just film underwater. No lens distortion.

turtle.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the lens correction in Photoshop any better?  You could export the video as an image sequence then batch process the images in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Just a thought.

KMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I have only Premiere Pro CS5... I don't have all those other programs. I know I could do it with numrerous other programs, but i figure i

want to try and get the most I can out of the $700 bucks I spent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just have a few shots to do, you could download the free 30-day trail version of After Effects and use that.

Premiere Pro is great for a lot of things, but optics compensation isn't one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the Lens Distortion effect in PPro CS5. Putting a -20 curvature on 720p60 footage from my GoPro seemed to yield the least visible lens distortion artifacts from the lens.

I didn't spend more than about 60 seconds playing with that effect (never needed it for my own GoPro shots) so I'm not sure if it'll be the solution you need or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does seem to be at least something Premiere Pro orientated. Thx. Did you save a preset or anything you could upload?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No preset, but it's a single adjustment so you should be able to get it working quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tinkered with it a little, seems to be workable... thx for the help! ~ Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well it does work; i was thrown off by the coloured background in the setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines