• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy Topics and Folders

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2006 Aug 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that contains folders and some topics that is duplicated throughout other folders. How can I copy those folders and topics to other folders? I have tried, it just "moves" that folder to the other, not copy.

Thanks for suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the Project Manager tab or the TOC tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to copy in both Project and TOC tabs to no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 04, 2006 Aug 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"in both Project and TOC tabs"? Yikes, I'm even more confused than before!

Just exactly what do you want to accomplish by copying these folders and files? Maybe the answer to that will clear things up.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2006 Aug 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish...

Screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi skoldpadda

I'm guessing that Leon won't see this until tomorrow morning, so hopefully he won't mind my offering some insights in his logically deduced absence.

First off, notice there is no "Save As" in RoboHelp HTML. The closest we can come is to right click the topic in the Project Explorer and choose "Duplicate Topic". You are then free to move that duplicated topic to any folder you choose. Then you can rename it if you want.

However, I might suggest that if indeed these topics are identical, you are setting yourself up for problems down the road by sprinkling duplicate copies all over your project. With HTML related things, the mantra is to simply point at duplicate information. Maintain only a single copy and point at that copy from wherever you can. Part of the problem issue stems from the fact that if you were to change any of these topics, you then would have to remember to visit all other instances of that topic and make changes.

If your goal is to link them to the TOC, note that you can easily list single topics in multiple places there. You aren't limited to a 1-1 relationship and topics can appear in your TOC an unlimited number of times. If you have reasons other than the TOC, you might get away with using Redirect topics.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again skoldpadda

Sorry, I forgot to add one other way. If these topics simply contain some information that is used as a starting point, then you will modify them to become unique, you should make a Topic Template out of them. This is easily accomplished via the Right-Click menu. Also, you might find the following link useful if this sounds at all like something of interest.

Click here to read the article

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 07, 2006 Aug 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What Rick said...

The thing to remember is that you're usually trying to train the user in how to go to topics of interest in subsequent help sessions. You should place the information in the section that is the most logical and intuitive, ensuring that you have set the TOC to sync with the open topic. Then place hyperlinks in topics or redirect entries in the TOC to allow them access to the topics from multiple locations in the help. The result is that: 1) users get to the correct help info; and 2) they see where the topics appear in the TOC logical structure.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp